Pulling axles on a 63

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So got backing plate 4 nuts off and that's broke free along with e brake cable but axles are not coming!!! Harbor freight slide hammer on lug studs? Trying to change out pumpkin. Thanks in advance

70gmcer

Supporting Member 1
In case you don't know, make sure you didn't damage those O rings on the bearings & make sure to lube them before putting back into the housing. Just saying...

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Surprised no one has brought up the log chain trick, wrap the chain around the axle flange then with about 5 or 6 feet of chain you give give it whipping motion, you may want to have something hooked to the axle so it won't come chasing you.
We tried the log chain trick hooked to a buddys truck would just slide the car so we hooked the other axle to a big tree in 4x4 and about 10 feet of slack he hit it hard it would lift the car off of the jack stands axles would not budge we double ckecked all the nuts were off and the bolts were pulled back this was on a 63 biscayne wagon we ended up replacing the entire axle housing. Wished we could have video'd that was the funniest thing I ever saw. :crazy

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
We tried the log chain trick hooked to a buddys truck would just slide the car so we hooked the other axle to a big tree in 4x4 and about 10 feet of slack he hit it hard it would lift the car off of the jack stands axles would not budge we double ckecked all the nuts were off and the bolts were pulled back this was on a 63 biscayne wagon we ended up replacing the entire axle housing. Wished we could have video'd that was the funniest thing I ever saw. :crazy
Did you have bib overhauls on with one strap hanging down when you tried this? LOL

Junky

Well Known Member
If you think that getting the axles out of the Chevrolet, then you have never worked on a car with tapered axle ends where the drums have a hub that is riveted onto it, and then the hub is retained by an extremely large nut, and you have to beat on a drum puller for an hours to get it off. My 1963 Chrysler called for 350 or 400 pounds of torque. Since I didn't have a 3/4" drive torque wrench, I put a box wrench on the nut, and proceeded to hammer on the wrench until it didn't turn the nut. It must have been tight enough, because it hasn't failed in 15 years of driving the car.
The picture of the car is below. The 2 gentlemen in the picture are the builders (along with their father) that built the car in 1963. My friend
Jack, on the left passed away a few years ago. Of all the cars that they built, only 2 are known to exist today. My 1963 Pinner Chrysler Ambulance, and a 1964 Pinner Chevrolet 30" stretch first call funeral car.pinner2.jpg

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Lucky for me they both came out with the backwards drum and beating the **** out of it!!!! I'm so glad it came apart. The o rings are undamaged but I have spares that came with my gasket set I bought. It will go back together probally next weekend and hopefully I will notice a change from a 3.36 single tire friar to the 5.13 posi unit the easiest part was getting the center section out.