2 post lift ugh

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks guys! I got a wheel kit for the 4 post and without a car on it it rolls real easy. GTO and Impala just close enough to be able to open a door without hitting each other. The only problem I have with the shop is when it has been cold then a warm front with humidity comes in there is unbelievable amount of condensation on everything even air cleaner on the motors in the cars! The tractor has water in the rear tires for ballast for the front end loader and they sweat so much it looks like someone threw a 5 gallon bucket of water down them! Getting surface rust on stuff that never did. Not sure if being insulated hold the cold in too much.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Years ago, my buddy had a very nice garage with a 4 post lift that I was able to use. I appreciated the greater sense of security and ease of use a 4 post provides. The sliding jack platform and tool tray came in handy as well. You only had to bang your head one or twice to remember to be careful and duck your head.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have a two post arm story, around the mid to late 90s I have a guy come to my shop and said he had a deal for me. This guy had won the bid on a U haul storage unit and said it had the arms for a lift and some other car parts and equipment. He also says he will get the storage unit that has the rest of the lift in and can have when he gets it. All I have to do is clean out the unit. So I offer him 200 bucks and he takes it. Now I clean out this one unit, it had a lot of Honda car parts, parts washer, wheels, tires and a 5hp 80 gallon Black Max compressor. I sold around 150 bucks worth of car parts another 100 or so for wheels and tires. I gave the parts washer to Nathan. I have the air compressor at home and use it most every day. The lift arms sat around the shop for about 6 mounts when a guys come in and says he hears I have the arms for his lift ( he ended up with the storage unit with the rest of the lift ) and I replied that he had the lift for my arms. I try to buy the lift and he wasn't going to have that so I sold him the arms for 500 buck. I think I came out pretty good on the deal even if I didn't get the lift. ;)

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a two post arm story, around the mid to late 90s I have a guy come to my shop and said he had a deal for me. This guy had won the bid on a U haul storage unit and said it had the arms for a lift and some other car parts and equipment. He also says he will get the storage unit that has the rest of the lift in and can have when he gets it. All I have to do is clean out the unit. So I offer him 200 bucks and he takes it. Now I clean out this one unit, it had a lot of Honda car parts, parts washer, wheels, tires and a 5hp 80 gallon Black Max compressor. I sold around 150 bucks worth of car parts another 100 or so for wheels and tires. I gave the parts washer to Nathan. I have the air compressor at home and use it most every day. The lift arms sat around the shop for about 6 mounts when a guys come in and says he hears I have the arms for his lift ( he ended up with the storage unit with the rest of the lift ) and I replied that he had the lift for my arms. I try to buy the lift and he wasn't going to have that so I sold him the arms for 500 buck. I think I came out pretty good on the deal even if I didn't get the lift. ;)
Sounds like a good deal to me!!

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
If I remember right my shop manual, 1960 Impala, actually has a diagram that shows how to lift the car with a 4 post lift.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
50'x70'. Usually happens when it has been in the 40s then humid warm front in the 60-70s blows in.
I have the same problem with my shop. If I open the shop overhead door after the shop has been cold for awhile when a warm front comes in, the floor flashes and quickly gets slippery wet and everything metal in the shop gets dripping wet. No A/C or dehumidifier in my shop either, although the fan might work. I try to keep the doors closed for awhile until the shop gradually warms up, but that may take a day. Welcome to Texas weather!
John

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you kept your garage heated (55 degrees) that won't happen. I know its a big shop and expensive to heat but that condensation is hard on everything. I keep my garage is at 65 degrees all winter so that doesn't happen, rust is a terrible thing.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
It is they are rusting almost as bad as my daily drivers outside in the driveway!

Heating options? Seen some folks mention radiant heating tubes for garages/shops.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Need to get a propane tank as we will build a house out there at some time. If the economy doesn't tank for too long!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Heating options? Seen some folks mention radiant heating tubes for garages/shops.[/QUOTE]

Here's what I have. 30X35 heated. Doesn't run much. IMG_20200403_082349990.jpgNon heated 40x35 attached. All 70' foam 6" insulated. The cold part stays dry and doesn't get below 40 degrees.

Last edited: