Aluminum Rear Bumper Project

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I received a suggestion or request last year about the possibility of making an aluminum rear bumper for a 63. I guess I took it as a challenge. Kicked around how I could shape the aluminum properly. I've watch you tube alot and came across a great channel a couple years ago- Wray Schelin's Proshaper workshop. This is where I saw him make a wire reinforcement and use fiberglass reinforced body filler to cast a hammer form buck. So the light bulb went on and I got to work making a rebar skeleton. Then prepped the bumper pieces to cast the hammer forming buck. After that, I had to aneal the 1/8" aluminum pieces and start hammering. Well I had to figure out how to hold the aluminum on the buck while hammering. I tried lag screws, but they didn't hold too long. I then used nutserts and studs. I am still surprised how easily the annealed aluminum was formed. I ended up using five pieces on my first attempt. Next one, I will try it with just three pieces amd see what happens. Now, what seems like the hardest part, so far, grinding and smoothing. I was hoping to finish the whole project before posting, but I just couldn't wait any longer. Because.of all of the different projects I always seem to have going on, I'm not sure when I will finish a complete bumper.IMG_20200505_192524.jpgIMG_20200505_192546.jpgIMG_20200429_182442.jpgIMG_20200307_135616.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks everyone! I was a little hesitant about starting this project, but once started, I couldn't wait to get the time to work on it. I'm really liking working with aluminum. Now that I have the bugs worked out(most of them anyway), hopefully the other two pieces will go a little quicker.
:appl:appl:appl
could you cast that part?
I would guess that someone with mold making/casting skills could cast the bumper pieces. But I don't know anymore about casting than what I see on YouTube videos. :D