4 posts lifts

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I am starting construction of my new garage/shop next week.I plan on getting a 4 post lift.The bendpak website said their 4 post requires an air supply to hold the locks open when lowering.It seems like this can be a pita.I didn’t see an air supply listed as a requirement for other lifts.
What lifts do others have and how do you like them?

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Most of the commercial grade lifts require a compressed air connection to operate the post locks on the lift platform. Rotary is the same way. It's a better way to sync the lock releases on the 4 posts all at the same time.
John

Junky

Well Known Member
I have had my Bend Pak for mor than ten years, and I love it. They also at one time offered a bottle t;hat would hold the air from the cylinder as the lift was going up, and then you used that air to hold the locks open. The lift has been flawless, and their customer service is exceptional. I had a smaller one, and I sold that one, and bought the largest, highest, and longest that they made at the time.

bobs409

Administrator
As stated, it doesn't take much air to move the locks (I think 20 lbs does it, maybe even less) and I fully agree, it is a PITA!

I was going to "create" some type of manual air pump system like from a bicycle pump or something but got onto something else back then. Another idea might be to fabricate some type of electrical device to work the locks. (the way they should have done it!) Use a momentary on switch that you have to hold down to release the locks for safety (so no one gets lazy and leaves them "unlocked")

The lifts are great though. Mine is mostly used for storage so it doesn't get used much. (as in up/down usage)

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Haven't had my 2 post Bend Pac very long but I like it. My spring loaded locks were very strong and made the release lever push very hard. I took out one spring on each side so the release is easier to push. The locks still function properly and there was no reason to have the extra strong spring set-up except lawyers and liability. I also made a 1 1/4" handle to slide over the existing 1/2" release handle so it's more user friendly.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
As stated, it doesn't take much air to move the locks (I think 20 lbs does it, maybe even less) and I fully agree, it is a PITA!

I was going to "create" some type of manual air pump system like from a bicycle pump or something but got onto something else back then. Another idea might be to fabricate some type of electrical device to work the locks. (the way they should have done it!) Use a momentary on switch that you have to hold down to release the locks for safety (so no one gets lazy and leaves them "unlocked")

The lifts are great though. Mine is mostly used for storage so it doesn't get used much. (as in up/down usage)
I saw something on bendpak’s site for a air tank/cylinder.It is piped from the hydraulic lift cylinder vent line that goes back to the tank.It fills the air cylinder when you raise the car.Looks like it is $205.

bobs409

Administrator
Bicycle pump $12 at walmart. :p

If you have a small portable style air compressor, you can do what I do. Just run it until it has about 30 pounds in it and shut it off. Then you can use that air to work the locks.

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've had a Greg Smith 4 post for ten or twelve years with no problems. I chose the 110 volt rather than a 220 like my two post has. Works the same just slower going up.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Rick.....look for Advantage Lifts. Their videos of construction and use are fantastic!!!!! When it's time for me.....Advantage will be the company I will deal with!!!
Way to go, Phil.:appl I knew their video's would sell you.Tony Weber, knows his shit.:clap I've had mine 5 years. Best money I ever spent. Advantage Lift's, is a Back Yard Buddy copy cat. Fine with me.