Is A Ring Thing

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sounds like the superstock guys would be interested in this, like Al (TENXAL) I know the pro stock guys would pay thousands of dollars for 5 found Horsepower. Thanks James that was interesting. Now I just need to see what the Cost difference between standard pistons and gas ported pistons is. Oh and standard rings and gas port rings. The blow by is seriously interesting but for 5 hp dollars do matter!:wacko:brow

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
You just use the rings with the pump for the best outcome. :dunno2

I guess I should know well enough this conversation is above my pay grade..... but......... if you ran the pump wouldn’t you be robbing some of the pressure needed to help seal the rings......?????

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess my next question would be ring gap? and did they do a leak down on each cylinder to see how much percentage of leak down there was. That would also cause more or less blow by past the rings!:wacko

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess I should know well enough this conversation is above my pay grade..... but......... if you ran the pump wouldn’t you be robbing some of the pressure needed to help seal the rings......?????

The ring sealing against the ring land is just as important as the ring against the cylinder wall. The vacuum keeps crankcase pressure from lifting the ring in its groove.