Rear air shocks for a '62 Impala?

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm really looking for about an inch or one and one half inch lift. I do not want the arse up in the air. 70 gto.jpgIMG_0995.jpgTo me, the '62's look better level. It has all new stock springs in it. I put air shocks on my '70 GTO convertible that I restored a few years ago for the same reason. I only ran about 40 lbs. PSI and the ride was not noticeably harsher. They do seep some over time - like sitting all winter. Here it is on its way to Delaware - I gave it to my Daughter and her husband.

Junky

Well Known Member
I believe that the wing fell off between the picture of the car and putting it into the trailer. You are a very generous man to give away such a beautiful car. Your daughter and son in law are 2 very lucky people to be recipients of a gift like that.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I took the wing off (it was a real one not a repro) because it wasn't a Judge. It was a numbers matching 400, 4 speed, bench seat, PS. PB car. I was going to leave my son and my daughter each a GTO. I decided to give them to them while I am alive. She chose the '70 and my son chose the '65. The '65 was built as a 389, 4 v, 4 speed. I put a tri power set up on it. They are both being good stewards of them so far.2534D855-0F6B-4580-8124-2345E62AEF1C.JPG65 gto.jpg

Junky

Well Known Member
Dad........... I feel left out!!! It would be a difficult choice, since they are both beautiful cars. After college I picked up a '64 GTO, and it was a beautiful car. Back then I didn't keep them, just bought them and flipped them to buy the next thing that caught my eye.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I remember those. I'll have to take a look on the web to see if they are still around.

** They are available. Have to measure spring diameter.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
They used to make spring spacers that went under the coil. Maybe they still do?? I put them in the fronts years ago so it would be level with bigger rear tires.

There used to be a universal coil spring lift kit, sold as 3 inch lift but that's a little much. I have one in the back of my 72 Chevelle, I cut it down to 1-1/2. It would not be hard to make, basic stuff. (large flat washers, 2 cup washers, tube, bolts)

Junky

Well Known Member
My 1962 BelAir has had them since day 1. Not certain if they were installed at the factory, the dealer, or the conversion company. My guess is was the conversion company. I keep 40 PSI in them, and they don't leak down, unless it is over the winter. Never had any problems with them. My guess is that the originals were worn out, and the previous owner replaced them. These are date coded 1992.

MVC-015L.JPGMVC-016L.JPGMVC-017L.JPG

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6