64 Bel Air and Impala rear seat differences?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dennis....can't be the same. The arm rest bases makes the seat narrower for the Impala.

bubpletop62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Since they both have the arm rests, I was under the impression they were the same length. Sorry if I was wrong.
Dennis Bubp

heddrik

Well Known Member
So, a bubbletop is same as 2 dr hardtop without the speaker? Thanks for the information. Are the armrests areas in the back seat the same also? I thought Impala was different .

blkss64

Well Known Member
But what about the 2dr vs the 4dr Bel Air seats. The pic of the Dallas junker is a 4dr. Are the rear seats the same?

bubpletop62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bottom cushion corners are different btw 2dr and 4dr. The 4dr corners are more round. The 2dr corners are more sq. Hope this is not getting confusing.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
20200812_202657.jpg
The Belair and Biscayne models have a "door panel" that is flat to the floor. Plastic arm rest ashtray is screwed to the door panel. The lower seat cushion is 64" wide at the bottom of the front seat. Impalas have about a 3" wide panel that attaches to the "door panel". That would be approximately 6" shorter lower seat cushion.
Don't know any other was to describe it!!

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
At one of the West Coast Shootouts a guy stopped by. with a 62 Bel Air Bubbletop with SS interior really spruced the car up. :appl:appl:appl

heddrik

Well Known Member
Pic is great, it's what I thought all along. So, an Impala back seat has a cutout on the end also, the metal curved piece fits in there, correct? Thank y all for clearing this up.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just to be clear, a 1962 Bel Air bubbletop has the same back seat and armrests/spacers as the Impala, except the BT has no seat back speaker. The 2 door post cars, 62-64, have the armrest and no spacer, like Phil’s picture.

62BillT

Well Known Member
While we're at it, does anyone know if '61 to '64 2-Dr Sedan Rear Seats are the same?

Hollander is famous for not giving us enough info on Rear Seat and Rear Quarter Glass stuff.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Strange how I am having a hard time verifying it. I can remember asking about 3 or 4 years ago as well and no one had the answer back then either. I agree, I would think so too. I have 2 sets available, from a '61 and a '62. Hollander's are great, I've got 4 of them. Just wish they went into more detail, lol.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
While we're at it, does anyone know if '61 to '64 2-Dr Sedan Rear Seats are the same?

Hollander is famous for not giving us enough info on Rear Seat and Rear Quarter Glass stuff.

I cannot confirm or deny this, but my bet is that they would be the same, the floor pans are the same ......My money is on yes

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Strange how I am having a hard time verifying it. I can remember asking about 3 or 4 years ago as well and no one had the answer back then either. I agree, I would think so too. I have 2 sets available, from a '61 and a '62. Hollander's are great, I've got 4 of them. Just wish they went into more detail, lol.
Compare measurements if you have both, mounting points and frame. 61 had that unique rear window, not sure if that affects the rear shelf area. Do the rear side panels interchange on 61 and 62?

heddrik

Well Known Member
Yes, I myself would love to see the measurements of the seats , both upper and lower and mounting points. This helps if you are looking for a seat in a junkyard , swap meet, etc. Very valuable information.

bubpletop62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I’ll start. Only have bottom cushion.

‘62 Belair 2dr SEDAN: L: 64”, W: 22.5”

I bet same for ‘61.

Dennis Bubp