348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Do you need that much room with those covers?? Underneath mine are 3/8 spacers and 3/8 gaskets

Attachments

• E247A17F-F48D-4FE3-8DCA-9FA9AC27AE05.jpeg
    E247A17F-F48D-4FE3-8DCA-9FA9AC27AE05.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 6ACFA3BA-6A58-44B1-B90A-50D519B7F30D.jpeg
    6ACFA3BA-6A58-44B1-B90A-50D519B7F30D.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 30

'37-4D

Well Known Member
They shouldn't have needed to drill, unless you meant 3/8?
When using a shorter pushrod it will sit at a slightly different angle. They have to drill in order to allow for clearance. This was the explanation I was given.

Reactions: Tim

427John

Well Known Member
With the higher point of articulation between the taller roller lifter and the shorter pushrod,I could see a slightly different relationship between the pushrod and guidehole and while I can't imagine there being that much difference, I can't see what they are able to see.I think the spacers look great,are you going to paint them to match the head or polish them to match the valve covers?I can see those spacers as a flange to buid a set of fabricated valve covers.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
With the higher point of articulation between the taller roller lifter and the shorter pushrod,I could see a slightly different relationship between the pushrod and guidehole and while I can't imagine there being that much difference, I can't see what they are able to see.I think the spacers look great,are you going to paint them to match the head or polish them to match the valve covers?I can see those spacers as a flange to buid a set of fabricated valve covers.
I was pondering on that decision myself. At first I though if I polish them, I will get these impressive more monstrous looking covers which will make the motor look super tough and more race like. But you would see the cork gaskets. If they made black rubber ones like for the Sbc, I would consider the polish option.
I am therefore leaning towards painting everything below the vc to match the block and keep it more subtle and nostalgic looking.
Thoughts?
VL2FHp5.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Only if absolutely necessary would I use them,more places to leak.That picture looks really good.FWIW I never liked the rubber valve cover gaskets.The Edelbrock ones seem to be the best design for holding up long term.The good thing is that you have them on hand if they happen to be needed.To help keep oil out of the lifter galley,keeping most of the hot oil from the bottom of the intake,have them make a plate that bolts to the little "nubs" that are in the lifter galley..Make it V shaped with the V pointing down.This will keep 90 percent of the oil out of the lifter galley and keep it down in the crancase area where it belongs.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Only if absolutely necessary would I use them,more places to leak.That picture looks really good.FWIW I never liked the rubber valve cover gaskets.The Edelbrock ones seem to be the best design for holding up long term.The good thing is that you have them on hand if they happen to be needed.To help keep oil out of the lifter galley,keeping most of the hot oil from the bottom of the intake,have them make a plate that bolts to the little "nubs" that are in the lifter galley..Make it V shaped with the V pointing down.This will keep 90 percent of the oil out of the lifter galley and keep it down in the crancase area where it belongs.
I was just going to say, I would polish them if I can get these Eddy gaskets made out of CRC (core-reinforced-composite)

I meant the photos of my heads w/ spacers :)
HDQhJnN.png

'37-4D

Well Known Member
And we are back. Shop was down a few people this week, so it was slow and they are very busy. But we finally received and fitted the correct push rods, and mock a few things back on. You'll notice the one head with the painted spacer and gasket. I hope you gents will approve. Just had time to snap these 2 photos. Hoping to have everything back together before the weekend and finally ready for the big awaited moment: Dyno and results

4HVCYME.jpg
0BfG4F6.jpg

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
And we are back. Shop was down a few people this week, so it was slow and they are very busy. But we finally received and fitted the correct push rods, and mock a few things back on. You'll notice the one head with the painted spacer and gasket. I hope you gents will approve. Just had time to snap these 2 photos. Hoping to have everything back together before the weekend and finally ready for the big awaited moment: Dyno and results

4HVCYME.jpg
0BfG4F6.jpg
Why are the rocker arms in the wrong place? #4 cylinder has the outer rocker arm that should be on the #1 or #8 cylinder. Just wondering, though I know there are spacers and clearance shouldn't be an issue now. Why not go ahead and put the rockers where they are supposed to go?

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Why are the rocker arms in the wrong place? #4 cylinder has the outer rocker arm that should be on the #1 or #8 cylinder. Just wondering, though I know there are spacers and clearance shouldn't be an issue now. Why not go ahead and put the rockers where they are supposed to go?
I saw that too. I mentioned it to them before, but I guess they figured it doesn't apply in this application. I am a perfectionist as well, but it really won't make any difference or matter here. I just texted him as we speak and showed him by marking a screen shot. He will probably hate me for it LOL, let's see what happens haha!!!