GM spatter paint

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I’m removing the spatter paint in the trunk on my 63 best way to remove it? It’s the factory original spatter.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Im not sure what form of stripper would work best.
Paul (PVS409) might be the one to say
Many others on here will have done it and someone will chime in

Pictures always attract attention:D

Steve

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I here ya on the pictures lol thanks for the info I just hate using liquid stripper aka aircraft

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I recall trying to do over the spatter paint in my '64 SS. The paint was still sticking quite well, but it was filthy. I tried cleaning it and it didn't work out too well. I sanded and scrapped it. I then sprayed the spatter paint. I don't know how many cans I sprayed, but nothing seemed to cover. Everything bled through and it wouldn't dry properly. What a mess I had big time. I don't know what went wrong, so I used a bunch of rags and cleaned off all the spatter paint. Sanded and washed the surface again. This time I applied 2 coats by brush of a Rustoleum light gray oil based paint. After completely drying, taped everything off a second time and sprayed it again. What a great result; at least for me. The Rustoleum was a great base and I think I only used 2 cans of spatter paint. I then topped it with a satin clear. It looks real good and to this day, nothing has bled through. I liked it so much, when I put in a new bottom trunk section of my '62, I used the same procedure with the same result. I'm not suggesting anyone should do this or it's the proper way, but it worked well for me, Carmine.

DaveN

Well Known Member
spatter paint does not cover as well as you think. I did the same as carmine spray painted the trunk with light grey first then spatter painted it came out beautiful. you can get the spatter at Autozone at least they sold it a few years back.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm thinking out loud here, but whatever you decide to do, you should use an undercoat such as primer like Phil suggested, or a light gray paint like DaveN and I did. That spatter paint standing alone just does not cover very well at all. It almost looks clear coming out, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
i would use a flat clear on top when ya done. some of that splatter will show top rust. jmho jim
You're correct. I used a clear satin finish in a rattle can. If you don't, I think things will bleed through eventually. Besides, that spatter paint is very porous. My trunk still looks great from few years ago. I have a mat in the trunk and every year, I look underneath for any signs of rust. Nothing. I might even leave it out for a little while to let some fresh air get to it, Carmine.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I used splatter paint from Duplicolor over grey primer on my 63. It still took 4 or 5 cans to cover. Looked great. Under good lighting the bare spots will show. Get a couple more cans !!!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I used 2 cans of spatter paint; no more then 3 and it all covered nicely. I'm wondering for coverage purposes, if using a gray primer vs. a gray oil based Rustoleum, makes a difference?? Either way, something is certainly needed, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Gray primer under the trunk paint is best to reduce the amount of paint needed.
Also you must clear coat gray/white trunk paint.
The paint is soluble with water on spilled on it or leaks into the trunk. Water will dissolve the paint. Had to repaint a 63 trunk for a friend when his back window leaked. Also I had a leak and it dissolved the paint.
Paul

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Im just getting ready to get back on the trunk. I been siding my garage and all that fun stuff. So I guess stripper it is! what’s the best? Cause that trunk paint sands like iron lol. As I was reading some of the comments I missed some thank you all for the help I appreciate!! When it’s finished I’ll throw some pics up!!

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gray primer followed by GM spatter paint followed by satin clear and then I lightly scuffed surface since finish was to shiny for my liking after clear coat.

It's been quite awhile now since trink was re-painted so finding a good spatter paint now might be a challenge. A painter friend makes his own by mixing gray paint with solid white latex flecks (kind of like house painters use on interior walls to get a "knock down" texture).

Cayneman

Well Known Member
My Grandson spilled a bootle of spray detailer on my splatter painted 63 Impala trunk well and messed up the trunk well floor. Used splatter paint from Lowes and covered it with satin clear, results were good as new.You could never tell the difference.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Update on spatter paint after a move and building a new shop I’m back on spatter paint! Only to realize I’m not stripping one of factory coats but 3 coats of it plus some almost what I would say is like black tar?:furiousIm getting close to getting it all off but it’s been a challenge to say the least. In some spots I scrape it’s almost a 1/2” thick lol on a lighter note here’s a pic of my shop to lighten the mood. C2D621F3-5CC0-4840-A73B-9C4E1BC0458C.jpeg

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Update on spatter paint after a move and building a new shop I’m back on spatter paint! Only to realize I’m not stripping one of factory coats but 3 coats of it plus some almost what I would say is like black tar?:furiousIm getting close to getting it all off but it’s been a challenge to say the least. In some spots I scrape it’s almost a 1/2” thick lol on a lighter note here’s a pic of my shop to lighten the mood. View attachment 90139
Trunk pics to follow!