How to destroy a piece of 348-409 Mickey Thompson Power Ram history one part at a time because you can.

427John

Well Known Member
The cross ram manifolds were always aimed at maximizing power in a targeted rpm range,the longer the individual runner separation the lower the rpm range of the maximum effect.A great example is the late 50's early 60's Mopar crossrams,Mopar actually built 2 versions of the manifolds that looked nearly identical,they both had the carbs sitting out above the valve covers but 1 version had the runners separated nearly out to the plenums under the carbs giving ~ a 30 in. ram length,while the other version had the runner pairs joined to nearly halfway to the manifold flange before the divider started giving an ~15 in. ram length.The long ram version targeted a "tremendous power boost" at around 32-3400 rpm for use in the chrysler 300 the short ram version targeted a higher rpm range,in the lighter more high performance oriented models.Ford used the same principles when designing the 5.0 HO efi manifold to improve the low end power of the small 302,and based on the looks of a lot EFI manifolds out there they weren't the only ones.

tenxal

Well Known Member
I can’t help but thinking there had to have been more than 50 of these made. Ive owned two in my days here on earth. I don’t think they would have even gotten there r&d and tooling money back with those numbers. :dunno

Agreed. There were 3-4 of them floating around my town....and we're in the middle of fly-over country. In my circle of car guys, one had this intake on his '60 Biscayne business sedan (no back seat or rear window regulators) that had a '63 409-425 and 4 speed transplant.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice numbers Carl. Would you care to share the specs? McQuillen built if I recall correctly?
Yes Dave, McQuillen built. CM went above all expectations with this N/A Hyd roller pump gas engine. The car will still be street registered but I'm not doing as many street miles in it as I once did, got myself a trailer for the long hauls to and from events and going to concentrate more on ANDRA and IHRA/Thunder 400 Championship drag racing again. The Hyd roller is awesome under 6500rpm but for me to be more competitive in my DYO class 10.99-8.50 I'll need to be able to hold a few numbers and pull around 7000+rpm @ approx 135mph or so to play the finish line properly against the heavy hitters. My tech cut off is still 10.00 seconds. Only reason to swap the Hyd roller for a solid is for a bit more power up top and to keep valve train in check above 7000. Our Championship Christmas tree is like winning your IHRA Ironman or NHRA Wally trophies, hoping to grow a few more trees down here:beer
The cars best so far is 1.38 60', 10.1 seconds @ 131.5 mph.
I do have an 881 but might not have the time though, we'll see.

Attachments

• 5 x Trees.jpg
    5 x Trees.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's a custom McQuillen Hyd roller Dan. He tried two cams and this one came out on top. I think he'd like to keep the actual specs in house as he put allot of effort into it but I'm sure if someone was to call him he'd be more than happy to discuss.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Cool Carl! Nice 60 fts! Even heavier than my 64 was back in the day!

What HR lifters also? I've heard guys having issues all makes(Pontiac,Chevy) and multiple brands. I have a new 455 Pontiac I built with the "newer S" Comps I have yet to dyno.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool Carl! Nice 60 fts! Even heavier than my 64 was back in the day!

What HR lifters also? I've heard guys having issues all makes(Pontiac,Chevy) and multiple brands. I have a new 455 Pontiac I built with the "newer S" Comps I have yet to dyno.
Crane Hyd rollers, had no issues with them.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is the Bel Air hardtop that much heavier than a sedan? I’m at 3850 race weight according to two sets of longacre scales. That’s 100% steel and glass, bench seat, etc and an all iron engine.
I love it! My wagon is 4040lbs (me in it) with no hood, front bumper or interior panels or 2 back seats (9 passenger). Once I put everything back in it will be in the 4500lb range. I can't wait to get my 2dr sedan ready for the track. 3800lbs would be a dream!