348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There was no difference between the L or RHD engines.The only thing on the engine that had anything to do with the steering would be the power steering pump IF the car was equipped with power steering in the first place.

427John

Well Known Member
Yes,the only real changes on drivetrain parts to accommodate right hand drive,were things like bellhousings with provision for the clutch linkage on on the right side,even the transmission didn't really require any change autos could use a crossover bellcrank for the column shifter and transmission mounted manual shifters could just use a handle with a dogleg.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,
It's been a while. Early spring weather is upon us up here in Canada, which means I couldn't resist and took the girls out for a boot. We've been blessed, it's usually not 10-15 degrees Celsius (50-60 F) this early in the year. Thought I'd post a few videos. SOUND ON!!!
@Don Jacks Happy to report: No issues at all so far. Changed the plugs on her and after a good run, they are a good colour, which means the carb builders did a good job tuning them. Not sure how the hot summer weather will affect. It's been a long wait and I sincerely hope to enjoy this season fully.
***Missing the front grille. Getting some tlc.

:drive

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi Everyone,
It's been a while. Early spring weather is upon us up here in Canada, which means I couldn't resist and took the girls out for a boot. We've been blessed, it's usually not 10-15 degrees Celsius (50-60 F) this early in the year. Thought I'd post a few videos. SOUND ON!!!
@Don Jacks Happy to report: No issues at all so far. Changed the plugs on her and after a good run, they are a good colour, which means the carb builders did a good job tuning them. Not sure how the hot summer weather will affect. It's been a long wait and I sincerely hope to enjoy this season fully.
***Missing the front grille. Getting some tlc.

:drive

37-4D are you guys able to by leaded gasoline in Canada or are you running race gas?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No,some places have non ethonal and E85 but all pump gas is unleaded.It's great that it's out and about.You should now be able to enjoy it for years to come.Did you have the engine dyno'd?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Actually, leaded gas has not been available since the mid 70's, same as US. Maybe you mean ethanol Steve? I can buy ethanol free 91 here in Nova Scotia, everything else has ethanol.

Canadian cars are built pretty much to US spec (not Calif. spec) except for a while we had a 5mph bumper when you went to a 3 mph bumper, plus we've had DRL's since about 90/91.

I think the 37 has 0 mph bumpers, just like new cars today. Most seem to lead with the grill and the bumper is expensive crap plastic.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
His engine was designed to run on 91 octane or better.It's a street cruiser which means that it must be able to run comfortably on what ever pump preminum fuel he can find where ever he goes.
It was also suggested to run a carb cleaner twice a season. Such as Seafoam Motor treatment. Half a bottle 2x a year, to help with the carbs.

What is you top choice for plugs brand?

Last edited:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
No,some places have non ethonal and E85 but all pump gas is unleaded.It's great that it's out and about.You should now be able to enjoy it for years to come.Did you have the engine dyno'd?

Yes, I only use 91 or higher. The motor was dyno'ed back when and the guys didn't have the set up to check AF. I'd love to know the bottom line now that the carbs have been rebuilt. We saw in excess of 280 hp I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if we skimmed the 300 at this junction. Tbh, I'm happy as it is. Lots of power. The response is phenomenal compared to before. I took a motorbike on and left him behind for just a few seconds. Probably was a newb and didn't know how to shift, which gave me the edge until he took off of course LOL

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
His engine was designed to run on 91 octane or better.It's a street cruiser which means that it must be able to run comfortably on what ever pump preminum fuel he can find where ever he goes.
I thought when he said his plugs were a nice color he was running leaded fuel. The last time I saw plugs a nice color is at the track or back in the day when fuel was leaded, today they are just BLACK (is that raciest? Lol).

'37-4D

Well Known Member
I thought when he said his plugs were a nice color he was running leaded fuel. The last time I saw plugs a nice color is at the track or back in the day when fuel was leaded, today they are just BLACK (is that raciest? Lol).
Haha, well my newb ass meant they weren't black and they weren't white either but an even enough brown. :D

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I like A/C's ,Ngk,0r Autolite about equally.Stay with the stock heat range,projected nose style plug such as A/C 44's.If you have an MSD type or a Pertronix type of ignition,run a plug gap of .040 for the type of driving that engine will see.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
I like A/C's ,Ngk,0r Autolite about equally.Stay with the stock heat range,projected nose style plug such as A/C 44's.If you have an MSD type or a Pertronix type of ignition,run a plug gap of .040 for the type of driving that engine will see.

Really!!!
I run Pertronix. I was recommended to gap somewhere around 0.028 and 0.030
I had it at 0.035 before I swapped the plug but he said it makes the spark jump further. He runs 28/29 on his.
I did have a funny start on my second outing. As if it was missing or idling erratically.