62 BelAir Bubble Build - sport coupe 409

TheLRZ

Well Known Member
62 generator had a larger pulley,
62 generator had steel end plates...
62 generators did not have ribbed belts
62 generators had special brackets.
Other than that...you are good to go!!!!
So that generator in the pic from 1960 348 is incorrect? Looks like steel end plates

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Turn the key all the way to ACC and use paper clip to push in small hole in the chrome cover for key ( the paper clip pushes a pin to release the lock with the key in it)
without the key you have to pry the chrome piece off that is on both sides of the key - then you can access the pin to release the lock)

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
So that generator in the pic from 1960 348 is incorrect? Looks like steel end plates
No that 1960 generator has the wrong end plates as compared to those used on all 62 409 Chevys.
All 1962 409 Chevys came with generators. Alternators on 409 motors did not start until 1963.
Paul

TheLRZ

Well Known Member
Turn the key all the way to ACC and use paper clip to push in small hole in the chrome cover for key ( the paper clip pushes a pin to release the lock with the key in it)
without the key you have to pry the chrome piece off that is on both sides of the key - then you can access the pin to release the lock)

Paul
Got it.

Thanks Paul

TheLRZ

Well Known Member
7B74B178-0419-46BD-9886-129D8014DB25.jpeg
sandblasted fender bolts.
now do I anodize them with this sugar, salt and roof zinc method I saw?
paint them?
powder them?

what do you guys think?
I have already bought the ingredients to do them homemade anodize technique,
is it overboard or the right move?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Paint will dull or chip, powder coat will chip.
I zinc plate all mine - do half a 5 gallon bucket for $20 at zinc plating company

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I bought an Eastwood kit once to do the hardware on a British bike, worked great.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes I use a company about 100 miles from me -
I have a fairly large supply of original 62 parts zinc plated — hood latch- gold zinc , hood striker- gold zinc, trunk latch and striker, glass bottle holder, washer bottle holder, A arm washers and bolts,
front end bolts, hood hinge mounting bolts, door latches, steering column parts under hood, clutch linkage under hood, numerous other items … on the car

“If parts are pitted the pitting will show after zinc plating”

I can post pictures of some large groups that I zinc plated for my 62’s by this weekend - when I get my computer back

parts have to be 100 % clean ( no rust or grease or dirt on threads or any place on the part) or those areas will not
zinc plate.