oil pump shaft

macpeppers

Well Known Member
my plastic sleeve that couples the oil pump to the pump drive shaft is split. should it be like this or is it cracked. if cracked, are these usually available at local parts store? i didn't install it thinking i could put it in later from above, now that i have the pan on, i'm not to sure.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Not really needed

I don't use a connector on the oil pump shaft. Once the pump is bolted in and the engine flipped over it has no where to go.

Dan Hunt

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
the replacement ones have a steel sleeve.Without it the shaft doesn't run on center of the pump shaft and all that holds it is the main cap.GM put a sleeve on them to keep them in line.

GOSFAST

Well Known Member
Oil Pump Drive

Not a real good idea not using the "retainer" to keep the shaft aligned, keeps the shaft running "true"!

The steel sleeves are the way to go.

You cannot install the shaft from the topside correctly.

Part #IS-55A is the one you need!

Over the course of the years doing these units I've seen many with the BB shafts (IS-77) installed, but they are too long and will (may) not let the distributor rest in the correct position!

There is a .240" length difference between the two, with the 2nd design 348's and the '09's being slightly shorter.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Melling usually has the correct shafts (part number above) in stock for the '09's with the steel retainer sleeves. If you have any problems locating them contact me with an e-mail Theengineshop@aol.com. Keep at least 6 here at all times.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Sorry, I should have said

Brain Glitch.....I don't use the spring clip on the connector. Metal connector always