Hilborne vs 3x2

I've always dug the look of Hilborne stacks, are they a six pack or 4x2. Is one or the other more streetable? I'm looking to build a streetable 348/409 that will roll at 70 mph all day long, is that reasonable?
Thanks, Bubba

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
the only Hilborne that is streetable are the new electronic fuel injection ones. Very expensive, look way cool but probably the cost of 6 3x2 set ups. A 409 won't be cool with a 3x2 but definitely cool with a Hilborne

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I've seen some write ups on making mechanical units more streetable but it's always by someone who knows them very well and several mods to do it. New electronic EFI definitely alot easier. Hilborn or any old mechanical can be converted.

the only Hilborne that is streetable are the new electronic fuel injection ones. Very expensive, look way cool but probably the cost of 6 3x2 set ups. A 409 won't be cool with a 3x2 but definitely cool with a Hilborne

Yeah, I checked out EFI ones, ouch. Definitely cool, on the wish-list.

I've seen some write ups on making mechanical units more streetable but it's always by someone who knows them very well and several mods to do it. New electronic EFI definitely alot easier. Hilborn or any old mechanical can be converted.

Cool, I'm learning. Now I need to be saving up.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I've always dug the look of Hilborne stacks, are they a six pack or 4x2.

Hilborn (and similar) units are fuel injection. "6 packs" (Mopar's term for triple two-barrels), "4x2" (quadruple two-barrels), and "2x4" (dual four-barrel) are all carbureted. Totally different animals.

It takes a lot of knowledge and fiddling with parts to make a mechanical fuel injection unit, like the Algon and non-EFI Hilborn units, remotely streetable.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
The "coolness" is subjective. Some people don't mind the looks of the EFI on a vintage engine, others hate it. The design of the fuel rails, size of the injectors, and lack of a metering valve are the giveaways that a system is EFI. It would be very tough to conceal an EFI conversion on a 348/409.

The "coolness" is subjective. Some people don't mind the looks of the EFI on a vintage engine, others hate it. The design of the fuel rails, size of the injectors, and lack of a metering valve are the giveaways that a system is EFI. It would be very tough to conceal an EFI conversion on a 348/409.

I guess from my perspective a period correct motor would be prefered. Although, a ZZ502 w/ EFI would be cool, a 348 with mechanical fuel injection would be coolest. You saw where I was headed, finding my way..
Thanks Mike,
Bubba

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
From a period correct standpoint, only the Algon would fit. The Hilborn unit, even when mechanical, looks like a modern fuel injection setup. The units from the 60s had a much different look in regard to manifold design.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can get you the electronic injection units $2700. Comes with TPS and rails and vac supply.with the injectors,ECU kit. pump and filters and all, the whole kit is about $6400. Mechanical is cheaper. They do have idle circuits and by-pass set ups . I believe they can walk you through a street set up

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
http://dickshotrodcarburetion.blogspot.ca/

a little down the page is a 6x2 intake with carbs and fuel injection for a 409... interesting

That's just a nicely put together carb'd 6x2 setup; not fuel injected - note the low-pressure fuel regulator and gauge on the end of the distribution rail. Unless there's another fuel injected setup somewhere else on the page?

The setups that convert the old carburetors to throttle-body injection still tend to be discernible from original - the injectors poke through the bottom of the fuel bowl, various necessary throttle-position sensors & wiring are visible, etc.

Thanks, for all the replies. I'm learning.
Hey Mike, I checked out your pics of the Algon setups. Man that is cool to the bone. The fuel pump is wild, with the old galvanized plumbing elbows and brass reducers.

John Autry

Well Known Member
No not yet Geary but getting really close. I would like to see some pictures of your Ram Jet, got any you can post?