Anodizing Remover

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Eastwood has a anodizing remover for removing the anodizing from alum. parts. Had anyone used this product? Also read you can use oven cleaner or Castrol Super Clean, anyone tried this?

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Well..... I did a 15 ft aluminum boat that was anodized gold... so I needed something that worked. The active ingredient in the products sold by Eastwood and Caswell, is Sodium Hydroxide. (lye) Also found in oven cleaner and drano. I went to the A/C repair outlet and purchased evaporator cleaner called "Nuvite" that was meant for removing oxidation off coils. $25 for a gallon. Mixed it with 3 parts water and it worked like a charm. Afterwards I did a few of my trim parts for the Chev. Worked excellent. Only used half the gallon for the whole boat.

The solution "eats" off the hard oxidized layer, anodizing.... but if you left the part in the solution for a while it would "eat" the whole thing....

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Well..... I did a 15 ft aluminum boat that was anodized gold... so I needed something that worked. The active ingredient in the products sold by Eastwood and Caswell, is Sodium Hydroxide. (lye) Also found in oven cleaner and drano. I went to the A/C repair outlet and purchased evaporator cleaner called "Nuvite" that was meant for removing oxidation off coils. $25 for a gallon. Mixed it with 3 parts water and it worked like a charm. Afterwards I did a few of my trim parts for the Chev. Worked excellent. Only used half the gallon for the whole boat.

The solution "eats" off the hard oxidized layer, anodizing.... but if you left the part in the solution for a while it would "eat" the whole thing....
How long did you leave the parts in?

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

1960impala283

Well Known Member
3 to 5 minutes. I lifted the parts out to inspect the process a couple times. The anodizing looks dark grey, and where it's gone looks whitish. I messed around with a few really damaged parts first. Rinsed with lots of water, then sanded and polished. I have yet to try and reapply anodizing. Caswell has a kit.

The boat needed a couple 5 minute applications, and a purple scotch brite scrubbing to remove all the anodizing.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sodium Hydroxide is no longer the active ingredient in oven cleaner or drain cleaner. You may find some dry forms of drain cleaner that still has it in it, but for the most part they have removed it. I was able to find some but the outcome was not the same as using actual anodize remover. The nuvite idea sounds like a good one. I will have to get some to try it.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Lye sold in grocery stores is Sodium Hydroxide. Mix with water and soak the parts for about 5 minutes, rinse, buff.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I tried Hair Grease Remover you can get at home depot for $7. Heres a vid of a guy using it on his 63. We actually love his videos, lots of tricks and all are on this 63 he picked up cheap and is bring back to life.....So far mine was bit blotchy but I have to do a second treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jdlo-AQoAY

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I tried Hair Grease Remover you can get at home depot for $7. Heres a vid of a guy using it on his 63. We actually love his videos, lots of tricks and all are on this 63 he picked up cheap and is bring back to life.....So far mine was bit blotchy but I have to do a second treatment.

Thanks for sharing that link. Started watching the motor install and first drive videos. I like his "shade tree" references. This has to be the way most of us started out back in the day. :beer Leo

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Interesting thing with the non lye based oven cleaners is they work well as an aluminum degreaser. Blue can of "easy off" ... used it on the cast aluminum block of my boat motor after I tried varsol and paint thinners to get all the stains off. The Blue easy off got rid of all the stains and left it clean aluminum. The yellow can of "Easy Off" still has a bit of lye in it, don't use on cast aluminum.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Dan is a cool guy. I met him at a car show when he first got the 63. I'm pretty impressed with the Hair and Grease Remover. Gonna have to try that too! :)

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Reading this thread with great interest.
Soon I'll be doing my interior anodized panels.

The hair grease remover looks like a very cost effective way to prep.

Not to hi-jack this thread but for completion, anyone ever worked with this?
http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-anodized-red.html

I for one, really would prefer the durability qualities of powder coating over re-anodizing.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I'm also impressed with the idea of the Hair and Grease Remover.

But what would be the best way to Re-Anodize?

Also, how many out there are just going with no Re-Anodizing afterwards?

Bill