Yellow Wagon's 409

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks all for the kind words and thanks to Mr. Tony Shaffer for making this motor what it is! This thing is a monster, plain and simple. Also a big thanks to Phil Reed for being a good guy and more importantly a good friend! Thanks for coming out to watch the motor today! Finally thanks to Ronnie Russell...without that K&N filter, this motor would have never broken the 350hp mark!!! :roll In all seriousness, thank you Ronnie for helping evaluate my head porting job, your suggestions and feedback. This motor was a lot of fun and my dad had a blast being at the dyno today with me. We talked motors all the way home!

NOW.....what you all have been waiting for......right out of the gate this morning, first pull of the day:

473.5 @ 6000rpm
462.5 lb ft @ 4400 rpm

Video of the run to come tomorrow!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Congrats again Jason,Outstanding numbers.:danceYour headwork payed off,big time.:beerCan you post the sheet? You just increased the value of the 333's you sold me.:roll

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice job Jason:clap...................................Of course you made sure not to leave Phil alone with your engine.:D

:crazy

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I need to also thank my wife since she always lets me play with these old cars. She is the best. I was a bit bummed that she couldn't make the trek down to Missouri to watch that motor run with my dad and I. She is and always will be the reason why any of this stuff happens. Without her support and desire to see me happy none of this would be possible. :beer

Phil was trying to work a deal on the motor yesterday. I think his highest offer for it was $1900 :crazy

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jason, my hat is off to you. I don't mean to take anything away from Tony Shaffer because we all know assembling a 409 properly is a talent. Tony has a great reputation............... but it was you who did the research, bought the parts, got into the 333's with a grinder............. it was you who made it happen.

I look at your parts list and think....... "how simple is that" ........... I have seen other shops spend at least twice as much on parts and not get the power you did. It's kind of funny, a lot of them end up at Richmond Engines to be fixed............ So I guess I had better take my hat off for Tony as well !!!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tony mentioned that yesterday also that it has the right combination of parts to run hard. Not sure I would change anything on the motor either honestly?? I'm no expert but since Ronnie was willing to help me when I was porting my heads I would be happy to help anyone else here do the same if they want any assistance. It takes a lot of time but it isn't hard...and those 333's can make horsepower :brow

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tony used Quaker State with Lucas oil additive, 10-w30. Don't forget my motor has the Isky lifters with the EDM oiling holes.

I'll be running the Brad Penn 10-w30 in the motor with the Lucas added in also.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What's the first thing you are going to break with all that HP? Driveshaft, Diff, u-joint.....

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The rearend has the Eaton posi unit with Aubrey's bearing cap girdles, Richmond 3.73s...BUT I still have the stock axles in it.
The driveshaft is a rebuilt stock unit with Napa Heavy Duty U-Joints and the Inland Empire carrier bearing
Transmission is a Muncie M20 with Autogear iron midplate, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Centerforce 30lb flywheel and throwout bearing

I think it will shit the axles out of it first. Hopefully everything else will hold up :pray

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As long as you stay with regular tires,I doubt you'll break anything :prayWith drag radials,or slicks,however :eek it may be anyones quess.:dunno

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I got 2 sets of 333, 1 pair of 817 and 1147s. Where is the line for port work:D
Great numbers!!!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
First thing I broke switching from the SBC to the W was the lower control arms. Bent then pretty good on street tires.