Billet Timing Chain Cover 348 409

stan65

Well Known Member
I hope you like it, if you have any problems with it send me an email. I designed this part for Terry Williams, as I wanted a finned timing cover that would fit behind a water pump. I made it for the car in my avatar.

A little info: it starts as a 12 x 8-1/2 x 1-3/4 block of 6061 T6 aluminum (which is not cheap) and after 2 hours removing all the aluminum that is not timing cover on the CNC mill then polish you end up with what you see.

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
Cool! What other products are you making for 348-409? What intake manifold are you using for that blower? Lets see more photos of your '32.

stan65

Well Known Member
I tried to upload pictures without success? The intake is a new Edelbrock 2x4 large port with the top macined off and the insides hogged out. then a Dyers blower casting fitted and welded together.

Currently there are no other 348-409 parts being made, any suggestions? I just did the timing cover at my local streetrod shop on my own. I got 3 for me and he got the rights to the program. He has sold about 20, one to Australia, couple to Canada, the rest here in the US.

stan65

Well Known Member
1124110814a.jpg

1123111807.jpg

1113111127.jpg

1113111053a.jpg

1203111533.jpg

1124111010.jpg

1124110814b.jpg

0910111615.jpg

0909111509.jpg

0823112001.jpg

Cover.jpg

0914111932.jpg

cover_stefs_pan.jpg

Well here goes everything!

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
Hey Stan: I see you're using Edelbrock valve covers. Have you thought about designing your own? I have (and having them cast in aluminum). How about marine exhaust manifolds. I used to have some Edelbrock ones (see photo). I don't know if they'd work on the street. I'm obsessed with M/T style parts (see photo), but I don't see alot for 348-409s compared to SBC and BBC. Algon-syle injection, tunnel ram; Weber manifold? CROSS-RAM? I'm just throwing out ideas?

Yellow Dragster.jpg
Img_0700v2.jpg

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Hey Stan: I see you're using Edelbrock valve covers. Have you thought about designing your own? I have (and having them cast in aluminum). How about marine exhaust manifolds. I used to have some Edelbrock ones (see photo). I don't know if they'd work on the street. I'm obsessed with M/T style parts (see photo), but I don't see alot for 348-409s compared to SBC and BBC. Algon-syle injection, tunnel ram; Weber manifold? CROSS-RAM? I'm just throwing out ideas?

I'm going to have my brother create some patterns to cast 348/409 valve covers that match the fins and lettering on the Algon parts that I have, but probably won't have him cast too many beyond the 4 I'd need. He likes to tinker with that sort of stuff on the cold and rainy days, but only does simpler parts that don't require a core.

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
won't have him cast too many beyond the 4 I'd need

Post the photos....you may sell a couple :D ! I'm using Mooneyes valve covers because I love fins (on cars and engines) :cheers !

Img_0372v3.jpg

stan65

Well Known Member
Those would be pretty ambitious. We currently do not use raw castings, therefore the cost of billet blanks the size necessary to do an intake, not to mention the ability to hollow out the insides, make it impossible.

We could make the timing cover and drive/mounts for the blower on the Potvin setup. Though it would take a lot to recoup the investment.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
One would never sell enough of the front-drive setups for a W-engine to recoup the investment. Not really feasible for anything but a dragster or streamliner, like the ones shown. Far too long to fit in the engine compartment of a car w/o a huge set-back on the engine; having a hood or lack there-of isn't the problem. It's the length. Cars like the Model A, '32, etc actually have less length available for an engine than a B-Body (although it is easier to move the grille out further forward if aesthetic proportions aren't a concern).

The cross-ram for the side-draft carbs has been brought up before and would likely fit under the hood w/o a problem. One member had bought a SBC intake that he was going to cut up and modify to fit the W, but I don't think he ever posted how far along he got with it.