Check out the new Pop. Hot Rodding

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Check out the picture of the W motor in the new edition! The have a letter to the editor about my motor and a picture of it. Sent it in about 2 years ago. They changed some of the wording. I originally said you don't have to be Joe Sherman to build a 600 HP 409(since they had his motor in their magazine), but they changed it to a"an Engine Masters builder".

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Congrats, Skip. I just read it. It was nice of them to post the picture and your description, however, I did not like the comments by the magazine writer. It seemed to me like he was somewhat downplaying your engine. Maybe its just me 'cause I was expecting more positive statement. Sorta like he was more interested in pushing the Engine master competition. But nonetheless, it was great seeing your engine in a national magazine.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks Ronnie I thought the same on his comments, especially when he repeated them for the Olds guy in the next letter. I aminly sent it in to show even us "regular guys" can get a W to perform picking good matched components besides big names like Sherman.

I like seeing any W motor in any magazine and usually tear out the article.

Engine Masters to do right for any motor is a lot of work and time and $. Many of those guys try multiple cams, wide bands in EVERY header tube to dial in fuel distribution by jetting and runner length. and lots of dyno time. Maybe if I hit the Lottery:) Why I hope Bob and Lamar give a good showing for us.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Another thing I thought was strange, the writer made it sound like all you have to do is show up at the competition and enter. I would think there are limited entries and one would have to be accepted well in advance. Maybe Nick could comment as to how that works. But, like you, I wish Bob and Lamar the very best of luck and success. Will be very interesting.

BOSSMAN

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just read it, bet their response is because there are two entries this year. Terry Fritsch is from my neck of the woods and he had a pretty killer head for the Olds.

Hope Bob and myself can give a good showing with our effort. I have head castings in my possession and ready to get to work. Only if that intake would show up in the mail..........

BOSSMAN

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
To get accepted you need to apply. If you've entered the event before its easier to get in (especially if you've had a podium finish). If your new better have something cool to bring to the table, remember this is to sell magazines. This year only about 25-30 engines have entered and of that list I bet 5-10 will drop out during the year.

2 castings a day at the foundry... it's PAINFULLY slow going for them... but finally, it works.

Skip.
I don't buy many magazines anymore, but I'll be getting this one.
Congrats on getting in there:bow

Last edited:

BOSSMAN

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Sooner the better for me, everything revolves around that piece thanks to the rules.

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would think that the killer for these projects is availability of components. I gather after reading on speed talk that some of the entries in the engine masters already have their engines built and are testing different components already. Lack of parts could be the reason that many entries drop out as Bossman has pointed out.

BOSSMAN

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
We lacked a good intake manifold to compete with the Early Hemi more. Because of that I've been making a modern intake for that engine so we can come back and compete with it once the rules line up to our liking. I've done tons of development work for that engine in the last 3 years. The 409 stuff is also a nice fit to do the same thing.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Congrats Skip,nice 409........I knew the second I turned the page it was yours......:clap:clap

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Now to keep working the projects to actually get it in the car!

I think to even compete in these EMC deals you have to have your own dyno just to keep tweaking before you even get to the competition. Heck having your own dyno to tweak on a motor all the time might be almost as fun as running down the track, but I'm kind of addicted to G forces.