th400

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
A guy from the local car show gave me a fairly new rebuild th400 for nothing. Just wanted it out of his shed. He told me originally it was a th350 and I was going to just strip it for scrap. When he brought it over I told him it was a 400 and he said it came out of a 1975 S3 Laguna 454 he used to own. Is there any market for these anymore or maybe I should go back to my original plan and get the scrap price? Hard to tell what is selling and what is not from the Craigslist.

bobs409

Administrator
I think they still are in demand and certainly fetch more than a th350. I have one tucked away from the 74 Caprice that I got one of my 454's from. Planning to put it in my step side pickup someday. It's on the list... :D

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes ! There is a market for the 400.

Although not as desirable as an overdrive, they are somewhat indestructible. I built one and added a gear vendor overdrive for my deuce. Parts house claimed the 400 would be good for up to 1200 HP ! Not that I"m any where close to that much ! Plan was to go with a blower, but decided not.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I believe the TH400 was the standard trans in all the BB applications along with the SB Corvettes. Back in the '70's, my brother had a '72 350 cu. in. (L48 base motor) with the TH400 trans. I believe they had a center support bearing and a second oil pump to make them live behind big horsepower engines, but also consumed more horsepower compared to the TH350.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My favorite automatic by far. All of the old transmissions are getting harder and harder for the rebuilders to find. Around here people pay decent money for TH350, TH400, and PG cores. At least $50 for th350's.....more if it's the older non-lockup version....and from $150 to $200 for a buildable aluminum powerglide. TH400's are usually in the $50 to $75 range for a core. I've been keeping my eye out for an extra long-tail TH400 chevy transmission (fits the X-frame best for using a 1-piece driveshaft) for awhile without much luck.
I did find a 4L80E core at the scrap metal yard when I took some junk off a few months ago. They sold it to me for $30.
I have seen people pay from $300 to $500 for those just for a core!!!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There must be a good market, my Asian friend tooled up and made new TH400 cases in China and gets $200 each and sells as many as he can import.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You might try listing it on LS1Tech.com in their Regional for sale section since it's heavy. Lots of guys swap to TH350's and TH400's after spending tons trying to get their overdrives to live. The 400 makes for a good swap in the T56 cars too since the mount is in roughly the same place.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Well, just an update. Put it on Craigslist Friday at 12:30 when I got home from work. Got a call at 1:10 from a guy that wanted it. 4:30 he was at the house and picked it up. Nice young guy putting an LS engine with a turbo in a newer Mustang. I was asking $200, he offered $140. I figured I should help out the conversion of the Mustang to Chevy power and let him have it. And his good looking girlfriend was telling me how they are trying to save for a house and still go racing next spring.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is very cool! I didn't think it would bring that much, but knew it was worth way more than just scrap. I'm glad you got a good price for it.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
When he called, he was in a hurry to get it. He did have the whole $200 just in case. When we agreed on the $140 he pulled the wad out. No going back.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A quick $140 from nothing beats getting nothing.
Not bad for something which might have been scrapped otherwise!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
$140 works, the buyer is still taking a chance on the case having the internal broken ears which is common in used 400's, If they're broken it's pretty much worthless.