63 -64 return fuel line help

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
To address the vapor lock issue on my 62 409/409 I am going to install 63 fuel filter and return line. Any one have picture or diagram of how line is routed from filter to rear of engine bay? I purchased stainless line but have no clue how to route it!!
Any help would be appreciated.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Cecil might have a diagram.Absent that,I'd suggest running it parallel with the existing fuel line from the filter to the tank.You'll likely also need a fuel sending unit from a 63-64 car that came from the factory with the return line,or modify your existing sender.I seem to remember that Pontiac used a metal filter with a return provision,which I'd recommend in place of that dangerous glass unit that Chevrolet used.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The line just comes out of the filter and runs along the passenger head at the base of the valve cover back to the rear of the head where a rubber hose connected to it and ran to the steel line on the frame. ShowCars probably sells the line a ready made up.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes if you plan on using one of those glass bowl re-popped fuel filter don't. The Chinese haven't figured out how to work with our ethanol fuel. The gas here hardened up the rubber gasket between the glass bowl and the filter housing in a matter of months. I would't trust it ever again. You think vapor lock is a pain in the ass, wait till your ass is trapped in a fireball from that fuel filter spraying gas all over a scorching hot engine!

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The line just comes out of the filter and runs along the passenger head at the base of the valve cover back to the rear of the head where a rubber hose connected to it and ran to the steel line on the frame. ShowCars probably sells the line a ready made up.:yup

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I bought the glass filter that has AC cast into it, is that also chineese???

EZ Cool

Supporting Member 1
Instead of using a filter with a return line you can use a later model SBC fuel pump with the return provision built in. Less plumbing involved. Vapor locking problems usually start with the fuel boiling in the fuel pump.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
I bought the glass filter that has AC cast into it, is that also chineese???

If it has AC cast into it, I don't think it could be anything else. (big lawsuit waiting if so)

I think Jason was speaking of the gasket going bad. (come to think of it, I BETTER check mine!!!)

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The filter elements aren't that good either, and just think about that stupid glass thing breaking or leaking just before the big fire starts!!! I don't think glass belongs in engine compartments, original or not. Too much of a risk.

bobs409

Administrator
Agreed but these things are very thick so I couldn't see the glass actually breaking. Now those Chinese glass filters you see in the speed shops, don't just stay away, RUN! They are notorious for leaking.

Really, rubber lines are also scary when you think of it. I like to keep a watch on those especially with the garbage ethenol. :angry

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here is my repop glass bowl filter. The one that sprung a leak. Cast with the AC logo on the top. But it's a repop for sure. The glass and the filter housing are ok parts. It's the thin rubber gasket that seals the glass to the housing that's the issue.

8x7y2p.jpg

WINTERTEXAN

Well Known Member
Hi Bruce with Show Cars here.
I would like to clear up some misconceptions.
1. The glass filter assembly's you are referring to is manufactured in the USA by Shafer Classics.
2. Just because a manufacturer is licensed by GM to manufacture parts with GM logos, does not mean that GM
is doing the quality control of the part. All GM is concerned about is collecting their 7% commission on each part
sold. Some parts may be good, some may not be so good.
3. If you are going to use gasoline with alcohol in it, you are going to want to use a stainless steel tank and lines and rubber
products designed for gasoline with alcohol.

WINTERTEXAN

Well Known Member
The attached picture is of an NOS sending unit that was in Brad Ranweiler's 63 SS convertible. This was what we pulled out after 10 years of gasoline with alcohol. We also had an NOS gas tank that had to be replaced.
If you look closely, you will notice that the thin rod that holds the float is unfazed by this. It is made of stainless steel. Soooo, you should have a stainless steel tank, gas lines and alcohol friendly gaskets in the fuel system. The replacement gasket that we carry for the fuel bowl is alcohol friendly. Part #1155G $3.00 Bruce, Show Cars.
SendingUnit.jpg

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The type of responses by Bruce above is why I've ordered all my 409 parts from ShowCars.

The gas tank made in Canada (PN 8086) you have listed will most likely be my next purchase.

I guess I should match that up with the correct stainless sending unit as well as my gas gauge quick working.

PS - when I switched over to using (2) new Edelbrock carbs, I left my return line in place but put a "plug" in it.

bobs409

Administrator
Digging up an old thread here but I have one that I'm going to be selling so thought I'd post a pic for reference. This is the return line correct for 63-65:

DSCN7070.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I bought my glass gas filter from Show Cars about 1.5 years ago. I just changed the filter because of an engine missing problem. Don't want to jinx myself, but I never had a problem with the bowl leaking. The new filter came with a rubber gasket which I used. The old gasket was just as pliable as the new. Guess I got lucky, Carmine.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Digging up an old thread here but I have one that I'm going to be selling so thought I'd post a pic for reference. This is the return line correct for 63-65:

View attachment 48936
Not a return line Bob. Can't really tell from the angle of your picture. Return lines are 1/4"...one end screws into the fuel filter and other end has a 1/4" rubber hose hooked on to it at the back of the block.