Putting eagle 4" crank in 348 962 block

hello im new to this forum i have a 348 962 block 060 over it is at machine shop and they say it is going to take a lot of grinding to fit my 4" eagle crank with bbc rods. When i got this kit from showcars they said only small amount of grinding on pan rail. has anyone done this combination? any pictures of a block that has been clearanced for this combo?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Is yours an early 962? There are some differences in the main bearing support area and possibly on the inner pan rails also as the later version were beefed up.

poison ivy

Well Known Member
i would visit the shop,look,inspect and let him give u advise. each block has its own set of specs that need clearance, not forgetting that your crank may need altering.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Here's a picture of a members (BSL409) I believe,that has 4 bolt mains and is clearances for the 4" stroker with 6.385" rods.
downloadfile-1_zps25e33cab.jpg

Thanks for the picture I saw another one of his in another thread here but it didn't show the notchs as well do you know if BSL409 has any other pics of this on the forum? Machinist has built 409s but never stroked one. He has done sbc and sbf strokers he is concerned about to close to waterjacket but it looks to be pretty thick at the bottom of cylinders.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have never used 4" stroke in 348 but the basics would be the same. Being an amateur, I do it the time consuming way. Install crank, 1 piston and rod, mark block with chalk, grind, re-install parts and check clearance. The Scat stroker rods are a big help but as always, check and then double check the work. The oil pan rail will probably need some work, again, not sure of 348.
DSCF1519_zpsbe643ae0.jpg

rods are bbc ibeam floating from showcars with arp 7/16 bolts. both pics look like a simple process as long as done carefully.
I have heard .050 clearance between bolt and block?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If it's a 61 962 block it would be one of the first. It would have a regular date code instead of the julian date and would be the less beefy casting.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I had a 454 crank installed in my '61 348 and the machine shop said they would have to do some grinding. I don't recall them saying it would be a problem or excessive. I used 396 BB rods.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For my 348 which was cast in late '58, I used an Eagle 4" stroke with H beam 6.135 rods. The notching looks identical to 63 dream'n picture. Neither the shop or the builder stated this was a little or a lot of work.
Here's a picture of a members (BSL409) I believe,that has 4 bolt mains and is clearances for the 4" stroker with 6.385" rods.
downloadfile-1_zps25e33cab.jpg