charlie,

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice car, looks in great condition. Will look good with that truck 409 and a set of dog dish for that stock sleeper look.:love:clap:clap

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
thanks flor the replies guys, wont have too put my truck 409 in it as it has a 409 and a 4 speed:bow. I am searching for a cool set of early chev dog dish caps as we speak. got to start digging threw my garage this week and start putting some of my stuff I have been hoarding over the years on ebay to help pay for this before my wife kills me. she is getting tired of "I swear to god honey this will be the last old car I buy" he,he,he,

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
need some help asap! block pad {pass side front, below head} reads "t1216 g" the number ones {1} really look like capital I to me, has anyone else ever seen this? I believe the g tells me this is a 348 block? any help would be great guys!!!!!!!!!! the seller seems to be a really nice guy.

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
need some help asap! block pad {pass side front, below head} reads "t1216 g" the number ones {1} really look like capital I to me, has anyone else ever seen this? I believe the g tells me this is a 348 block? any help would be great guys!!!!!!!!!! the seller seems to be a really nice guy.
"G" is a 250 hp 348 with PG suffix. The numeral 1 was not used in assembly stamps, GM used the Letter "I" in place of a 1.
You need the casting number and casting date to tell exactly what you have, but I'm betting it's an 011 casting could be original to the car if someone changed out the PG for a 4 speed.
Whoever told you it was a 409 is woefully ignorant, mis-informed or intentionally fraudulent.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hey Charlie, I wouldn't be upset. It's still a fine car and with a "W" block to boot! A 348 is what would have come it.

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
okay........... had him check the casting number on back of engine. 3857656 if I am correct this is a 1965 truck 409 block? he also checked the intake, the number is3814881 breaks down as the big 425hp intake? he was told it has the big 425 hp heads. he has paperwork for a complete fresh rebuild. says it runs great!! don't know what to make of the stamped numbers on the front of the block {fishy} but I guess it does not matter as the casting number tells the story and is very hard to monkey with. what a roller coaster ride. anyway I am happy again!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd check it closely if you are paying big money, who would put those numbers on that 409 truck block and why? Unless they wanted to say it's a numbers matching car or be running a real sleeper?

A 348 disguised as a 409 is much more likely. Get the numbers off the heads too before buying.

Don

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That really makes no sense.
A truck 409 would be "QG" are you sure it's just a G?

charlie rogers

Well Known Member
trying to figure out what heads I have from a couple pics I received. {I cannot see the casting numbers} all I can see from pics is that the rocker studs look to be just pressed in with no pin retainer. also the int ports are square with the manifold bolt right between top of ports causing the square corners to be cut off. if I remember my research the factory hi perf heads moved the manifold bolt location higher to raise and open the roof of the port? also have the cam card, its a comp cam ,hyd, lsa 112, dur @ .050 224int 230exh 516 gross lift on both sides and looks to be ground on 108 int centerline. he gave me the casting number off the intake and I swore I looked it up and it was the 425hp intake? gonna have to look back at my notes. :scratch