T-shirt pre-order here (no more orders taken)

bobs409

Administrator
I got a reply from the printer and they are sending the artwork file out to get a quote on having it redrawn. (whatever that means) Probably just a way to get more money out of me. If it's too much, I might pass on this.

Maybe we can have them made as an iron on type? I don't know, this whole thing has been a disaster. :bang

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, really sorry to hear this has turned into a nightmare for you..:( I would really like to have a shirt, but not so much it is causing a lot of heart burn. I for one didn't know it was that hard to put a picture on the shirt. We get them done for our Veterans show in color and I near thought a thing about it ??

Bill

bobs409

Administrator
Their reply:

Hello,
We sent out the logo to the artist and this is what he said. In order to
take that picture and change it to spot color it would cost $150.00. In
order to redraw the file in the format we would need it would cost about
$600.00. Please let me know what you would like to do. Thank you.

Can you believe this? CANCEL!!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, I'll check with the folks who do our shirts for the Veterans Run to see what they can do. Let you know

Bill

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bob
On occasion I help out my nephew, who owns a screen print shop. I don't know a lot about the"artwork and the setup end" of his business. I just got to be the "grunt" who kept everything supplied at one end and kept everything from piling up at the finished end. For free of course!!!! Martin (Bubble Top) from Kentucky sent me artwork and wanted to know about getting it put onto t-shirts. It was a real neat looking drawing and would have looked real good on a shirt!
Long- story-short, couldn't be done as it was, way too much detail. To be printed, it needed to be dumbed down some. That means taking to fine detail out of the artwork and making it look more generic. All your sharp details are removed! And also remember, every different color requires a different screen and setup time. Every time you change colors, it costs the printer about about 40.00 plus setup time. You had a ton of detail in your artwork and at least 6-8 colors in it. I had my doubts but I kept quiet because some printers have better equip. Than what my nephew does. He has about a half a million in equipment and it's far from being state of the art stuff!!!!!! Scary ain't it.
I would also like to see this become reality, and you saw the intrest from others, but to do this I think you will have to start out with a much less complex drawing. If I can be of any assistance in the future, just yell, I'll do what I can or get my nephew's opinion on what can or can't be done. I sure hope that it happens in the near future!! Thanks for all you do for us! Mike:cheers

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Mike. The thing is, I printed out the artwork and took it to them in the beginning to show what I was after. They didn't mention anything like what you just said. In fact, they gave me a quote for the shirts based on the colors in it. There were a total of 5 colors in the end as Dick made a few changes at my request.

I was originally going after an iron on type decal but they suggested screen printing which surprised me as I knew there were lots of colors and thought it might be too costly. (I'm not even sure if they do the decal type so maybe that's why the print suggestion was made)

There are a lot of places to get T shirts done right on the web but not sure how it's done or quality. I'm T shirt burned out right now but will look into other methods...

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob.....in my humble opinion.....you had way too many choices. Pick 3 colors and print and let everybody decide. I didn't count but I bet you had probably 30-40 different options. I'm planning on 3 for the convention...might end up with 2 after my meeting on Tuesday!!!

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Count me in for 2 mediums and 2 large. I filled out a registration form last week and didn't hear anything? What did I screw up??

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, maybe ask the printer to detail in writing the specs needed to place an order, the formats etc. and post that reply here. Maybe someone will know how to set it up for less than the $750.

Maybe this shirt printer is the type that offers a low price to get you in the door then they "upsell" you to get more money. Sorta like some old car painters, engine rebuilders or ebay sellers that charge you big bucks for shipping. but lead with a low price for the part.

Don

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Just as a thought, dont bite my head off please
Over here we pay $20-$25 NZD for an event Tee shirt
I have attached the art work for the Muscle Car Madness Tee shirt ($25.00 NZD)
These are printed in CA USA
Will get the details if required
I guess the issue is volume, Craig Stare who runs the event only has about 4 colours of shirt (all light colours so as to make the art work simpler)
But me most likely orders 500 plus shirts so the set up is only say $2 per shirt

$750 for the set up if you were to make the shirts $20 USD would be covered in the first 100 shirtsMCM Tee shirt design.jpg

Just a thought

Steve

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I have followed this thread closely. I'm will be placing my t-shirt order this week.
I will have 3 t-shirts for Great Bend. My 409 dual four engine design in both Ash and Black and Hayden's bubbletop in Ash. I'm going to start a thread under the Convention thread and will like input from those who will not be attending on what the interest is. Please check over there and give me your thoughts. Thanks.