2nd top arm bracket on 63 diff instructions

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Guys,
Has anyone got a copy of the instructions showing the measurements for where to weld on the extra top arm bracket on a X frame Differential
I have the bracket but in shifting house have lost the instructions sheet

Steve

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Steve,

The Pumpkin is off centre, so the easiest way is to line the front mounting bracket on the chassis plate and the diff brackets will be where they fit.

the inner diff bracket we be somewhat shorter than the outer bracket as it rides up on the centre part of the housing.

I trust this helps.

PS see you in Kansas.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Cheers Grub,

I had an instruction sheet that came with the bracket but have lost it. it gave measurements etc and a drawings
I think i will be able to get it correct as effectively it will be exactly the same measurement from each backing plate to their closest bracket

I dont think you will need a name tag in Kansas, i think i will pick you out in the crowd:scratch it will be easier if you are talking though:crazy

Steve

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Directions, directions, You don' t need no stink'en directions! Just mock the assembly together, bolt the front bracket to the driver side with the same number of shims as the passenger side upper, and let the rear axle bracket fall where it may on the axle tube. Make sure when you tack weld the rear bracket to the axle that the car is in the laden position. That's the way I did mine, no issues, came out just fine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a copy of Aubrey Bruneau's instructions for one of his brackets, that I installed on my 62 SS 409 HT. It indicates a measurement of 18 5/8" inches to the closest edge of existing bracket and the new bracket measured from the retaining nut mating surface on the flange on the end of the axle(or make the measurement the same on both sides)
He also shows a 5/8" bar/rod long enough to go through the existing bracket and the new bracket to help locate the new bracket. He said the measurement between the new axle brackets should be the same for the two brackets on the frame.

I can copy this instuction sheet from Aubrey and send it to anyone...

I would state that I have 3 of these dual upper brackets on my 62's and all of the them the drivers side upper bracket is slightly angled to the center of the car.
Paul Stensland

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree to the idea of not using the instructions. It's a very simple procedure without them. I used the measurement from the instructions and actually regret it because my additional upper arm is slightly askew and hard to get the bolts in. Bolt in the additional front bracket to the frame (it's very obvious where to mount it) with same amount of shims as the right side, mount the arm, let it swing into place so you can weld the rear bracket onto the axle housing. I also used a long piece of threaded rod that went across both arms in the rear mounting holes so both arms swing in the same arc.