1965 SS Impala 409 Production Question

72blizzard340

I tried asking this on chevytalk with no luck!

Does anyone know what the last 409 engine installed in a car? I mean the Vin number or the production date. Does the car still exist?

Thanks, John Taylor

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Did Canada produce 409 Pontiacs all the way through 65? 396 in 66?

I'm pretty sure I've heard something like that. :scratch
If that's true, it's likely that the last passenger car 409 was installed in a Canadian Pontiac.
I'll do a post on the Canadian Poncho site and see if I can get more info.
http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/t58380645/the-last-409-car/?page=last#lastPostAnchor

As for the last Chevrolet passenger car to get a 409, hopefully somebody here will have some ideas. :think

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Lou (Rockfish) sold his 1965 409 car a while back, and I recall the new owner chimed in to this Forum one time.

Best,
TomK

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
This is from the Canadian Pontiac site. Maybe he knows?

The last date for factory install in a Chevrolet was Feb 14th 65. 396 after that. Pontiac in Canada continued the remainder of the year.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
One of our members has a 65 St louis built SS 409 I believe was march 24th :dunno

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is there a thread on here with production dates for various W blocks owned (past or present) by members? I know we have one for cylinder heads.
If the last US cars were around February, then I wonder when they stopped the engines since it would have been several weeks earlier.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Recently...we had a thread on the Springfield, MO swap meet. I used to go every year. Was walking around asking and looking for 409 parts. One guy said he didn't have any but his friend had a 409 car and he was set up at the swap meet. So..I go over and introduce myself. He said yes and it was for sale. I made arrangements to look at it that evening. Walked around it once and said I would take it!!! 1965 SS, 340HP, PG, AC, PS, PB, power windows, 12-bolt posi, AM-FM, tilt column, wood wheel, vinyl top, and I know I'm leaving off some other options. Car ran and drove. When he was signing over the title to me he said...I think there is something special about the VIN and this car. I already knew that!!!! Oh......black with a white interior!! Black being my favorite color!!!! Can't remember the latter designation for the Southgate, CA assembly plant but the VIN was 100003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3rd car off the assembly line!! I figured it was dressed out with all the options for an Executive car!! I paid his asking price.....$900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Reminds me of the time I was going through the pick a part about 88/89, I see a 65 Impala and look at the engine, it's a W, I think to myself "who's the dumb shit that put a 348 in that car":doh Obviously I wasn't in tune with W engines at that time.:dunno

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I turned 15 in October of '88. Got my car sometime in '89. I never saw a 409 engine for sale around here for $900 in all those years. I did get to buy several Mk IV big blocks for $350 to $500 though.....so that's why I always used those. And we had one '59 348 3x2 engine that my father bought for $250. It was the low-perf version and was frozen up. That turned out to be just locked up from rust on the cylinder walls after sitting. Some oil squirted in the spark plug holes and working the crank back/forth and it freed up fine. He let a friend of his talk him out of it a few years later. Traded it for a tow dolly. We NEVER used the dolly. It's sitting in the woods behind my house to this day. :doh

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Neat video of that 65 Pontiac 409. I wonder if that guy at GM Canada Archives would tell you when the last 65 Canadian Chev and Pontiac 409 was built/sold?

Don