mayday-Mayday

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Need help- I finally have my new 409 in the dragster, and water is coming out by exhaust bolts, I put permatex on all the head bolts, but do the exhaust bolts go into water?
Also have nasty oil leak at after market screw on oil filter
Thanks ---hope someone is awake out there.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
1. Yes
2 Make sure the bell housing bolt that is just behind the oil filter isn't too long and protruding into the filter areq. It won't seal if it is.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
There are many old threads on this forum on this head/exhaust bolt issue. Just use the "search feature" and type in "head bolts". This link is just one example. Also about the oil leak, like Cecil said, many of us have put too long a bolt into the bell housing bolt hole by the oil filter boss. The hole is drilled all the way through into the oil filter cavity and the long bolt will damage the adapter gasket. Easy fix, replace the rubber gasket. http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/1964-409-with-some-bugs.15671/#post-134034

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The exhaust bolts don't go into water but they do go into the thru hole for the head bolt which goes into water. This seems to be a common problem for some reason but if you use the correct sealant on the head bolts there shouldn't be a problem.

Bill

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Others have had success using liquid type sealers on the exhaust header bolts. For me Teflon tape was the answer. Wrap the bolt multiple times. Not all the exhaust manifold bolts go to water, identify the ones that do before you bother wrapping all the bolts!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I understood the banana, and now i understand what you meant. No i never used that technique :doh:doh

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the answers except the banana talk.
Put teflon tape on all the exhaust bolts, only the center lower bolts were wet, and now no more exhaust bolt leaks, now it leaks from the back of the water pump, so took it apart and put gasket maker there. the oil leaking from oil filter was only fixed by putting 1965 oil canister back for oil filter. It was not a to long bell housing bolt. It seems no one makes a special 409 screw on oil filter replacement kit, everything I found was for a SBC, and does they don't fit the 3/16" lip on the oil filter machined surface in block.
Anyone had success with a screw oil filter kit?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The small block and 409 kits are the same. There is no 3/16 machined lip on the block on a 409. It is flat. I suspect you are looking at an old gasket. Are you using the stock pressure relief housing with the kit? I have 3 of the Napa filter kits in use, I think the part no is 4061. This kit requires the use of the stock pressure relief valve, the same one used with the canister filter.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And a lot of those spins on are not well made in China and they leak. The original cannister also is a larger and likely better filter, just somewhat less convenient.

Don