1405 Edelbrock carb.

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
Hi guys|! The 1405 Eddy carb on my 327 started to act up, when I turn a sharp corner or have to stop really hard it stalls, I suspect the floats but would they be to high or to low? Thank's in advance.:cheers

bobs409

Administrator
I will be waiting on the answer to this one myself as I have a similar problem! I have the same carb on my daily driver truck and when I make a turn, the RPM's drop quite a bit. Never enough to stall but very noticeable and since this is a manual trans, it bucks/hesitates a tad getting back into the throttle.

Been doing that since it was new. I checked my floats and they are good and set properly. ???

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I have the same problem with my 600 cfm eddy carb. I have adjusted the floats up and down and everywhere in between. Nothing seems to help. My fuel pressure is at about 5#. I checked the pressure with three different gauges. Cecil recently posted a GM service bulletin that dealt with the same problem back in the early '60's. The fix was to change or modify the air bleed. I will attempt to find that bulletin. Leo

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We put a replacement auto parts store pump on one of our 409s, it had approximately 7 lbs of pressure. We had to put on a pressure regulator. Never thought a simple replacement pump would have put out that much pressure. We didn't have the problem as described above just a dribble of fuel after shutdown. It turned out that we also had a bad float in a relatively new Edelbrock.

I have also seen the above issue when there was a small amount of water moving around in the float bowl.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
You also sound like you have a heat soak induced problem boiling the fuel in the carb. An insulator under the carb would help this.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Off road needle and seat will hold back the pressure surge, hard turns and bumps much better. Get em at jegs or summit.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
I've never had good luck with edelbrock carbs.
Purchased a new edelbrock 600 for my '66. It didnt even have 5 years and 15k miles on it and the throttle shafts were wore out so bad it was sucking air through them.

Last edited: