2014 Indy Hemi Shootout

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Excellent..........thanx Dick..........the Hemis put on a great show.....
went to Indy 25 years straight and and saw these racing when they were new
.....even raced there at the Super Chevy events in the 90's..........

:cheers
bj

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Susan and I are still having fun. We started racing 25 years ago with a 62 Biscayne 409. We would still be racing the bubble top car if the Pro Nostalgia class was still around. It was a good time. The Hemi Challenge is a great heads up program...but not for the feint heart. Some really serious players. We have two more outings this year...hope to have a new motor for the Dutch in October.

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have gotten to know "bullet'' bob reed recently what a character,he has truly lived the life.
myself and a couple of buddies just redid bullets 1974 Norton commando 850 for him for his 75th birthday.AA/H cars are totally badass.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Thanks for the video. As far as i remember those cars have to use factory (based?) 426 blocks and cylinder heads.

I was told by a couple people in the racing community that to compete in the hemi challenge it takes more money than a 10.5 outlaw car or a pro mod. Kind of like the "rich" guys class. Nothing against that, but when I looked at them last year at nationals I began to understand.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Yes...the motor is a factory based 426 with factory part number heads. The overbore is limited to .075....with steel rods...steel valves...factory style crank. The chambers are oem volume as are the runners. The carbs are factory 650 vacuum secondary. With those limitations any valve train mods are permitted...except over sized valves. Sheet metal intakes are permitted. The class is tough and might be best described as a sportsman's Pro Stock. You need to make a 1000hp to be competitive. Had a nice visit with Alan George and Denny Ford this past weekend at the Dutch Classic. Russ