Vendor warning!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I too had a hunch is was Aubrey but like IShiftem, I would never assume something like that. I like the idea of letting everyone speak their minds for sure. When it gets out of hand, then maybe a thread needs to be locked up. When it comes to money and our members here, I just don't want to see people getting taken thats all. These engines cost a lot of money to build. I don't know about you guys but if I got taken for $1000, $2000 or more I would be done with my project for quite awhile. My money tree just doesn't grow fast enough.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I agree with Dick. In this case I was asked by a member for help with his predicament of not having a voice and fear that he would be vilified for speaking out. I never had dealings with Aubrey and would not have anything to do with him on a business level after he screwed Fred Totten for a couple of grand. Fred died waiting for parts or a refund. I never forgave Aubrey for this. I gave the member/members a forum to air their grievances. I do not regret having a part in this but was hoping that the affected members would have stepped up to the plate and said who the guy was. Even though I had my own personal feeling about Aubrey's character, like Dick I thought, it's none of my business. That's why I didn't put a name to the thread.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Sad day for what's already a small community. I've made a few $100 mistakes building my 61. If I got taken for a large amount, like Jason said, it would cripple my build. And infuriate me to know others never said anything to warn me. I rely heavily on board members and wouldn't know any better.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
114   Guess where the connecting rod went.jpg All this just reminds me about a problem I had when I was starting out with the '57 back in the late 60's. My 1st drag engine ( supposed to be a 67 / 327 365 block. loaded with all the then current go fast goodies , pistons,crank,rods,heads, tunnel ram , carbs.etc.. back then '69-'70 all this went for 4 grand in labor alone.This was all done by a very reputable builder at the time here on Long Island. He is no longer in business for obvious reasons. This engine never made it through the 1st burnout !!! The engine just GRENADED at the lights. To say I was pissed was an understatement. I still have my helmet from that day,it has a large crack from hitting the staging lane guard rail. Guess what the builder told me " OH WELL !!! THAT'S RACING !!! "lesson learned !! It threw a rod right through the oil pan and took out the left front tire. Over $7,000 in parts and labor out the window. My engine guy now, Jeff Lawrence ( Formerly Jack Merkle's Machinist ) "Lawrence Racing Engines " Westhampton N.Y. Who has had his current shop for many years. found me another 327 block and we reassembled all the goodies all over again. This engine I still have to this day in short block form with no top end. Wrapped in plastic all these years.
Outside of general racing maintenance this engine has suffered no problems all these years These kind of business people have been around for years. In the end they all get what they deserve. His business tanked in under a year.113  whats left of the race motor.jpg 114   Guess where the connecting rod went.jpg

Last edited:

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
So what rpm was you at when it started flying apart??????:furious
6500 in 2nd. The second engine did 6500 burnouts every weekend , No problems. I watched the oil pressure drop to ZERO !! I had enough momentum to coast to the left so as not to oil the track. 8 quarts worth.:cry1:cry:bawl:wah
:crazy:dance3:flag

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What a shame. Seems like a waste to ban the guy....although the evidence is convincing I must admit.

I respect the guy for investing his own money in development of those intake manifolds. Where else you gonna get a single four, single plane intake for a W?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What a shame. Seems like a waste to ban the guy....although the evidence is convincing I must admit.

I respect the guy for investing his own money in development of those intake manifolds. Where else you gonna get a single four, single plane intake for a W?
I'm sure that you can still get Aubrey's intake or any other thing he sells. His address is but a search away!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

That was part of the problem, before he went to prison he had taken up front deposits and full payments for an intake that took many years to come. Many came on here and complained about not getting any thing but excuses, hopefully he repaid those people.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm sure he was well intentioned, but that's what the road to hell is paved with.

I know it is difficult to manage and communicate expectations, even for the best of folks. Having ambition and ideas still doesn't make anyone a good communicator or business partner. Being honest with oneself or even customers is hard when sinking in quicksand.

I wish him well!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
A lot of newer members of five years or less don't know the history. I have difficulty believing Aubrey had good intentions. This had gone back a long way. Some people got what they paid for, others, not so good. The one's that got what they paid for loved the guy. The one's that didn't were left twisting in the wind. If they spoke up they were accused of vender bashing and were vilified by the people that put Aubrey on a pedestal. This was a hard nut to crack. I didn't personally have a dog in the race because I didn't trust Aubrey to deliver, although as a well known member he probably would not have screwed me over, that's how he operated. I'm truly sorry it had to come to this. I took no pleasure with the outcome but would do it again if necessary.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
A lot of newer members of five years or less don't know the history. I have difficulty believing Aubrey had good intentions. This had gone back a long way. Some people got what they paid for, others, not so good. The one's that got what they paid for loved the guy. The one's that didn't were left twisting in the wind. If they spoke up they were accused of vender bashing and were vilified by the people that put Aubrey on a pedestal. This was a hard nut to crack. I didn't personally have a dog in the race because I didn't trust Aubrey to deliver, although as a well known member he probably would not have screwed me over, that's how he operated. I'm truly sorry it had to come to this. I took no pleasure with the outcome but would do it again if necessary.

Well said. Thing is, with loss of support from this board, I bet the small port SP6000 manifolds will never get produced. I was chompin at the bit to use one on my engine, and after talking to Aubrey very recently, I seriously doubt I'll get my hands on one.

^^That's neither here nor there, but I gotta cry the blues to someone.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
This whole deal is unfortunate. Aubrey was one of the very first members to join this site and he's helped a lot of people with good advice over the years.
He's also worked hard to develop things like manifolds and pistons etc.

I remember a few years ago when he ran into "legal issues" it seems like there were a few guys waiting for things they had ordered. I gather that one of our long time members that has since passed away never did get the parts he ordered.
More recently, some guys made down payments on manifolds assuming they would be done a lot sooner than they were. I know some of those guys were getting tired of waiting. I don't know if all of those guys have their manifolds yet. :dunno I'm guessing they did but if nobody says anything one way or another it's hard for the rest of us to know.
There was also a guy that signed up and did a couple of posts saying Aubrey screwed him but the posts were not specific and hard to follow.

I don't see any problem with somebody saying they were unhappy with any transaction with any vendor. I wouldn't call that vendor bashing.
If for instance, I ordered parts from someone and didn't feel I got what I ordered I don't think I would be out of line to mention it.
If we had more guys giving an honest opinion on how their dealings went, we'd have a better idea of who we should be dealing with.

It's unfortunate to put Bob in the position of having to decide who stays and who goes.