409 short block

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I'm looking at a 409 short block. Here are the numbers on the back: 3830814, GM 4, 814, WO11, 962, Z, H3. Would someone kindly break down those numbers and tell me what this motor is?? Thank you, Carmine.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
814 block is generally a 409 from 1963. The Q '__' on the front right pad will tell the horsepower rating of the engine at assembly. The date codes are listed in the data section, but 962? Are you sure? The rest of the data posted will take an expert.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
IMAG0280_zps483707f4.jpg
Hi everyone. I'm looking at a 409 short block. Here are the numbers on the back: 3830814, GM 4, 814, WO11, 962, Z, H3. Would someone kindly break down those numbers and tell me what this motor is?? Thank you, Carmine.
Like this

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yes, that is exactly what it looks like. I'm told that it is a '63 passenger car motor 409/340. Just want to make sure. I will look on the right front pad for the other number indicating hp rating. Thank you everyone, Carmine.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
From the numbers back there it could be a 63 or 64 block.....and either passenger or truck. If you can't get the suffix code off the front pad then post up a picture of one of the block decks. The car blocks have no notch in the chamber and the truck blocks do. Besides the suffix code, there is zero difference between a 340 HP block and the 400HP or 425HP ones. (Or the Z11 block from what I've always been told.)

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There are no notches in the cylinders. I'll look tomorrow for the suffix code.
I don't know if I'd say you've struck gold, but if a sonic check and magnaflux show no problems, I think you found a nice solid foundation. Congrats! :pepper