Bought a 409 engine

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. First and foremost, I want to sincerely thank everyone who gave me suggestions and directions on the purchase of a 409 engine. Some posted here and others sent me a pm with a lead. I did check out everything and I'm very grateful for the help. I had to decide which way I wanted to go with this car and engine. Since I believe my '62 wasn't an original 409 car, the issue of having a '62 409 engine became less important. I did look at a few and they were more then I wanted to spend. So, I kept looking and did find one about 1.5 hrs. from me.
Its a '63 409/340. Its a short block. Still together. Comes with an oil pan, timing cover, harmonic balance and pulley. The cylinders look real good. No ridge. The tops of the pistons are relatively clean. The lifters come out of their bores easily and have very little wear on them. The freeze out plugs are clean, not new, and show no signs of rust. I don't see any marks on the pistons indicating over size but I think this motor might have been rebuilt not too long ago. I don't know anymore history on it. I brought it home and its on an engine stand in the garage. I'd like to take the oil pan off and take a peek at the main and rod bearings. If the internals look good, one side of me says to clean it, assemble it as is and get it running. The other side says don't be foolish. Take it to the machine shop and have it rebuilt for peace of mind. Not sure which way to go but I'm leaning towards the latter of the two. Also bought 817 heads with new uninstalled valves. They will definitely go to the machine shop. Now its just getting parts together to complete the build. So, I have a few more questions I'm sure I'll be asking in the future. Well, there you have it. Again, many thanks to all. Everyone has been so very helpful, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Great news! Glad you found one. More importantly, I'm glad another 409 found a good owner! I'm sure you'll do your part to help preserve a bit of 409 history. :D

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:yupNice to hear you found a 409. Definitely have the engine checked out by your machine shop.:beer

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm Jealous!!!!!!I want one too!!!!!!:doh:doh Carmine, you have any picture's ??????Don't keep us in suspense!!!!!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Its gotta come apart. I had bought a really nice 348 short block a few years ago. LOOKED clean or so I thought. The machine shop said the inside was filled with metal dust/particles. He had it stored close to his bench grinder. Had it not been checked out, it wouldn't have lived long. Great score!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for all the nice comments. I thought more about it and I'm still going to take it apart, out of curiosity, and then to the machine shop. I'm glad it was mentioned about no hardened seats. I didn't know that. My machinist is a trusted, good guy. I'll have him do what ever it takes to get this motor right. I've decided this is no time to be frugal. Pics are tough for me, but I'll work on it, Carmine.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:happycongratulation on the new purchase, take your time and don't scrimp on anything, oh yea......... ask lots of questions be patient,

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:happycongratulation on the new purchase, take your time and don't scrimp on anything, oh yea......... ask lots of questions be patient,

Thanks. I waited a long time for this. Always wanted a '62 SS with a 409. As soon as the motor goes to the machine shop, I'm going to pull the 350 and give the engine compartment some tlc. Doesn't really need much. Probably a good cleaning will take care most of it. I have all winter to get this car done and done right. Looking to have the motor in and running by late March. I've never driven or have even rode in a 409 and I'm really looking forward to it. Like a kid all over again. I do have some additional questions I will be asking but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, Carmine.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
One of my favorite cruiser engines is the 340 horse 409. The 340 engine has the same torque as the 425 horse engine but is available at 1000 lower rpm. The torque these engines produce is incredible. You won't miss the mouse motor. Leo

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yes, I'm really looking forward to it. Kind of hard to let go that amount of money for a partial motor not even close to running. Seems it takes a while to save and then is gone in a heartbeat. But, that's something I wanted. Nice things cost money. No exception here.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Congratulations on your recent purchase, I know you've been looking for some time now. Now that you have the fitted block and the heads you can move forward (there is no looking back!). Once at the machine shop you'll notice your wallet getting thinner by the minute, but follow the collective advise of the previous posters and you'll be fine :). In the end, you get to make all the decisions, and live with the results. Make sure that the machine shop is competent with respect to the nuances of the mighty "W" and best of luck in your build.

Cheers!
TomK

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carmine , With you having all winter and wanting too be on the road with the W by March 2015. When tha baby is complete start her in an engine stand break in the cam and leak check. I cranked my 409/409 in a stand the passenger and drivers side heads required being plugged in 4 bolt holes behind the thread as they leaked anti-freeze as a kid I didn't mine working on engines while in the car. As an OLD KID I prefer working on them outside of the engine compartment when their rebuilt and enjoying that first drive after the install and not more work just my opinion as an OLD KID:Dand as I've mentioned before when I had my first Harley they told me H stood for Ben Franklin in my case H and W stand for Grover Cleveland$$$$$$$ and as mentioned when you install the RAT and remove the MOUSE the 62 will draw you much attention at car shows and cruises!!!!!!!!!

Happy Motoring Ted:)