Pack-Wrat

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't want to trample on the convention thread so I will explain a little about our experiences at the convention. Several have already asked about the name I selected for the car. How many times have you been asked, what is a 409? If a sbc is a mouse motor and bbc is a rat motor,, what is a 409? Seemed obvious to me that it is a rat but spelled with a "W". The evil looking little varmit is carrying a bag full of 409 parts he "found". :D Thanks again to all who donated parts to the bag. The orange letters represent chevy-orange engine paint. We spent 1 1/2 days trying to fix a brake problem. The Pack-Wrat spent most of the time on jack stands. Several of us took new cars that were really not ready to the convention. We all did the best we could and we will do better next time. Loren (gearhead409) , Jim and Jim came over to offer help with the brake diagnosis. Loren quickly bled each component and found the proportioning valve was bad. Barry and I started looking for steel brake line and fittings to plumb around the valve. Jim says, "pull the valve, take the guts out, and use it for a junction instead of a valve.. Simple and brilliant. Brakes worked great the rest of the event. Barry said the rears never grabbed too much so all was good with stopping. Now, if could just make it run. Cheapskate Russell put a cheapy Summit brand electric fuel pump on the car. I constantly tried to save every cent I could because my financial situation ( I,m broke ) is not good. :doh I learned not to scrimp on something that supplies the engine with fuel. I knew the rear suspension is a joke but wanted to get the car to Kansas and knew the components could be changed later. Barry had to abort one run because the car was almost out of control 100 ft out. I told him that was the most entertaining launch I had ever seen him do. I'm glad Dan ( ishiftem) had on clean clothes when he came by to say , hi. If Dan had laid on the ground and looked at the rear suspension,,, he would have stood up, shook his head, and walked off without a word. Fuel pump is no.1 on the list,,, rear springs and shocks, no.2 and the rest of the list is long. Barry dialed a 11.55 on the last run, let off the gas to keep from braking out, and still run 11.39. The car falls flat and sputters and bangs in some of 1st gear and half of 2 nd gear because of lack of fuel. So, we are optimistic about the future. I think the car has enough hp to run 10.80s , so that is the goal for the future. Thanks to all who dropped by and offered help. Thanks to all who signed the door panel. No doubt, the door panel is now my most cherished possession. :beer

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The sponsor idea sounds like a good idea, I know in the past you have gone out of your way to help. The fuel pump and shocks are obviously a good idea but for larger items you might need combined contributions, maybe to your Paypal account?

Bill

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Should have cut this off at the pass sooner but I've been mowing all afternoon. I hope this is not taken in the wrong way. Your offers are amazing and trust me, I appreciate people wanting to help. I cannot accept money. Some would say I was trying to build a race car on someone else's dime. My reputation is worth far more to me than money. Even though the donations would be in Brian's name, I would be the benefactor and that doesn't seem right. Tears come to my eyes when I think of so many people offering to make such generous contributions. Now, if you happen to have some shocks or springs that you have taken off of your race car when doing upgrades,, then , I would accept and use the old ones. The Pack-Wrat will be a respectable race car someday, that , I pledge. Thanks again for your offers, please know that I will never forget them.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike, +.060,,, Ross pistons, Scat rods, Eagle 4" crank, Bullet solid roller, home made intake from unknown maker, 2-750s, MSD dist., and the bad part,,,, very mild #690s. big cam, big intake, big carbs, little 690 heads. the cam I received for building an engine for a friend, the intake was donated by Jay Gould ( the man that owns the '37 Coupe) carbs from the swap meet. I will never be able to afford the good heads and as we all know, that's where the big power is made, but that's okay, its all about fun. Won't be able to run with the "big boys" but will hope Barry can cut the lights.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For those who were not able to attend the convention. A picture of my little varmit.
IMG_4609_zps21674df9.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry ya'll had brake trouble Ronnie, but glad it wasn't brake trouble at the top end. I hope ya'll post some full view pictures soon for those of us who missed it. Did the pump give trouble, or was it just not enough output? I think we all understand what you are saying, but I don't think there is ANY person on here who would think you were "building a race car on someone else's dime" or being the sole benefactor of donations. I truly believe that any of us who donate would be proud/honored and that we would feel like the entire 348/409 community benefits from the car. Something built by our own members in honor of a member. Seems pretty special to me.

uncleo

Well Known Member
Greetings from Long Branch NJ,Americas first seashore resort and 7 time US summer capital....keeping an eye on you guys.....been rocking the overnight on the Jersey Shores' WRAT-FM 95.9 the RAT for over 18 years now .....rocking with Sammy Hagar''I Can't Drive 55'',Godsmack ''1,000 Horsepower'',Metallica ''Fuel'' Rob Zombie ''Dragula'' etc.....RAT radio
stickers if anybody wants one.
Lee

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ronnie, i don't think you should really worry about getting some thing's donated for the car . After all who built the car ,with all the body work and drive line labor, and i know material for body and paint are not cheap. So why feel bad .You have got more invested than any one of us do!!!!! Just get it hauling azz and Brian would like that!!!!!Remember it's a TRIBUTE CAR!!!!!!!

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ronnie, i don't think you should really worry about getting some thing's donated for the car . After all who built the car ,with all the body work and drive line labor, and i know material for body and paint are not cheap. So why feel bad .You have got more invested than any one of us do!!!!! Just get it hauling azz and Brian would like that!!!!!Remember it's a TRIBUTE CAR!!!!!!!

My point was that any donations/mini-sponsorships would be for Brian.

That was my intent also and hopefully I didn't offend Ronnie, if so I apologize. Unfortunately I no longer race and have no race parts to offer.

Bill

These guys have said it all Ronnie. We really just want to be part of the tribute to such a great guy. No offense was intended. I would really like to help out.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks guys, no offense was taken. I don't want to be the bad guy. I don't want to be thought of as a person to take advantage of a situation. If you guys want to chip in to make Brian's car more competitive , I will gladly accept your generosity. P.O. Box 154----- Ladonia, Tx 75449.......... Every cent will be accounted for and posted . I am so excited about identifying what needs to be done. 105 mph when it should have been at least 115 mph. Just ran out of gas. I had my reason for thinking the little pump would be enough. I was soooooo wrong. Not the first mistake I've made, won't be the last. Your help is so much appreciated. Quality parts are expensive ,,, I hate to spend my money,,, I hate to spend someones else's money. But, if you send it, I promise everything will be above board and will be spent to make Brian's car better. But, please, if you have any doubt about it, just pass. Thanks again ..........

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ronnie, so happy to hear that I can help. You have done so much for me (built that great stroker 409 for the T-Bird) and now I can do a little something for you, Barry, and Brian. I didn't know Brian but I'll bet he would be pleased with what your doing. My and Ellen's name is on the Pack Wrat door panel along with others that signed at Convention No 2 and I thought at the time we added our names that we would in some way be riding along on each 1/4 mile pass. Now I feel even better being allowed to help a little in my own small way.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good point Clyde!! Ronnie, you shouldn't mind one bit taking donations from willing friends whose names are (or hopefully soon will be) on the car. A special build like that represents not only Brian (please don't think I am trying to take away from the Tribute part) but also our whole group here and respect we had for him, as well as for each other.