Transfer 61 bubble roof onto 62 impala cpe

Antiquewrench

Mike, the car looks great! Jim is a great fabricator. Can't wait to see more progress. How about a couple of pics of the frame if you have that done.

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks antiquewrench,, waiting to get some epoxy primer on the roof and the top of the quarter panels this weekend, and we will get additional pictures of the bubble and the frame...

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I always say, there is nothing left of the original car, that includes the top. It is off a 61 Impala because the original top was too rusted to save. I am always up front with anyone that asks. Don't plan to sell her but if I did they would have to know it has a different top.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bill - Even though yours has had the top changed, it is a real bubbletop car......just had a top replaced to maintain original condition. I don't think anyone would hold that against your car value wise.

I know that on the cloned bubbletops a lot of people do not like that it is done. For me, I am not happy about good 1961 Chevrolets being used for donors, but if they are tops from cars beyond repair or from BOP cars (no offense to the Pontiac guys here) then it doesn't bother me as much. What I don't get is that you have some people cloning a 62 bubbletop to pass off as original....doing full restorations.....and then you have some people with real 62 bubbletops doing restomods or other non-original builds. Too bad they can't just use the clones for the non-original stuff and the real ones for restorations. Guess there just isn't a way for owners/builders to coordinate that.

Again - Mike please don't think I am meaning any of that about your build here. I think that all the work that you are going through to save what you can of those cars is outstanding and I'm glad you are sharing it with us here. I wish I had the skills that ya'll possess.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
It just goes to show you, the reason the "bubble top" 62 is so popular, the roof line. Certain cars for Chevy lovers are revered, 55-57.... 58-64 and corvettes.
Many different opinions on what is right and wrong, to each his own, as long as your honest when you sell it. ?? Enjoy your build, another survivor.
:pepper

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Epoxy primer has been applied to the roof and the quarter panels, and the trunk lid, hood, and fenders are also in primer. The doors need some body work, which will be completed over the winter, along with tearing apart the seats down to the springs. The frame is finished, except for a few minor hook-ups, and attached are some of the pictures. All new placement holes have been drilled into the quarter panels for the new script, (ImpalAir) which still needs some tweeking, but this is close to what it should look like when finished..The American Racing wheels are the real deal from the sixties with the 2 1/8 inch spread on the hub cover screws.DSCN0443.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0444.JPG
    DSCN0444.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN0449.JPG
    DSCN0449.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN0450.JPG
    DSCN0450.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN0452.JPG
    DSCN0452.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 145

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have a few additional scripts, both impala and belair, none of which have real nice plating. Jim Sullivan and I talked about the finish of the script, and Jim suggested that we paint or powder coat the script silver. Other than buying new after market scripts and cutting them up, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Added a few more pics that did not post on my first try....

Attachments

• DSCN0453.JPG
    DSCN0453.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN0455.JPG
    DSCN0455.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN0456.JPG
    DSCN0456.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN0457.JPG
    DSCN0457.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 133

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Mike, looking very nice. Those wheels do look great on there.

Now don't forget how you loaded the pictures.:laugh:roll

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe both names- Bel Air Impala or Impala Bel Air;Bel Impala or Impala Bel. ImpalaBT. BTImpala. Or use Bel Air and the Impala symbol. Lots of choices.

Or go with what the car is mainly, trunk lid and interior wise- Impala or Bel Air and let the car show crowd argue what it is.

Don

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I've seen articles written on having molds made to make your own scripts.unfortunately my comprehension skills really suck when my interests aren't peaked.maybe someone does this as a service.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've seen articles written on having molds made to make your own scripts.unfortunately my comprehension skills really suck when my interests aren't peaked.maybe someone does this as a service.

That's what those 3 D printers are good for, making moulds for casting things.

Don

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
ImpalAir is what Linda called ours until we settled in on Ms Bela...

Bill

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Ya, ImpalAir was my very first thought when I decided to go ahead with this build. It looks pretty nice on the quarter panel, so I believe I will stick with ImpalAir... Thanks everyone for the input....Mike