409 engine

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I had no choice but to restore my C-80 because my dad always wanted one. The one in my 63 came out of a log truck when it was replaced with a 366.
There was one other 409 at the ATHS show this year, it was a former firetruck.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great find, post pics when you get it home.
Here is our VFD truck, 1985 4WD, 4 speed 454 with Quadrajet. Drives the same loaded or empty, probably about 6MPG, it has under 5000 KM's on it.

410242952.jpg

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Don as you could see my 65 is not very fast, It has a complete truck block ( truck pistons and truck cam ) with a set of large port heads single 4 intake, but it runs so good I hate to mess with it. If you just want a cruiser a stock truck engine will work and look cool to boot!!! Pat :beer

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
If you decide to make it into a car motor, I'd be interested in the original carb; if it still has the governor.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I sure hope you don't part out a truck that nice. That is awesome. I'd be tempted to stick a stock 454 in place of the 409 and stick it in your '63 if I were you, but even that seems like it would really be a shame.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Trying to get a short video also GGGGrrrrr,,,,,,, I may have truck sold of course i keep 409 and he will take bed off and part it and put on a service bed and install another motor My nephew is a traveling semi and trailer alignment tech.I know some of you may not like that , but that's why i bought thetruck, for the motor.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Truck run excellent top speed 65 mph . Has a governor.I t is a 5 speed tran's. Had a slight shimmy my son said right front wheel had a little wobble, needed to be adjusted.It is big back window 4 way emergency flasher's radio delete plate, They did not remove any equipment such as radio's and beacon light .

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Don as you could see my 65 is not very fast, It has a complete truck block ( truck pistons and truck cam ) with a set of large port heads single 4 intake, but it runs so good I hate to mess with it. If you just want a cruiser a stock truck engine will work and look cool to boot!!! Pat :beer
As long as you have fun with it that's all that count's. I won't be able to leave it in present form, i think i got the fever after hearing that engine rumble.:D

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think I'd be tempted to big-block it and try to build a car hauler. I'd be way over my head but I always liked those haulers.