May have found my winter 4 X 4

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Those big tires can work but everything else has to be perfect. Ball joints, tie rods, wheel balance and alignment have to be spot on.

bobs409

Administrator
Lowering the air pressure really helped things. Will try going lower as suggested. I don't get any "death wobble" since doing that and tires feel balanced good. (they were just mounted and balanced but I didn't spin them to re-check yet)

I think what I might be getting is bump steer? (I have to go look that up to be sure)

If I get frustrated with it, I can always change it back to stock but have to admit, I'm spoiled by the aggressive look this thing has!!! :D My brother saw it and said looks like your ready for the snow and I said "I'm ready for a war!" :laugh

I might end up getting 4 new tires so they all match and something that will ride better and selling these. Those fronts are an older style, the newer ones are blackwall and have a different tread pattern. (and they are EXPENSIVE!!!) They say they have Kevlar or something in the sidewalls. (see, ready for bullets and a war)

Went to the biggest junkyard in my area today to hopefully find some of these Wranglers. Not even 1! What is it with these, they don't seem to end up in junkyards. (reminds me of a Corvette, where did they all go? They can't all be alive still...) :rub

Well, must rest a bit. Those junkyards wear me out anymore. :deepsleep

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I could be wrong but, I think the smaller narrow tire will have better traction in snow.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
i agree wwith Dan.It always seemed to me that the guys up north[bsl409's area] seemed to take off thier wider tires/shiny rims,in the winter,and put on steel wheels and skinny's.Wide works great in mud,but "packs up" and slides in deep snow.

bobs409

Administrator
Even with this aggressive tread?

I don't plan on going out in every snow storm. I mainly needed a 4X4 for emergencies, occasional jaunts out in the winter wonderland and plowing.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Those big tires hydroplane on snow and slush, get a 235 wide maybe (235/80/15 or 16) or less on something that light and short wheel base. The aggressive tread is good in mud, not snow, you need lots of sipes for snow. But, you won't look as good with skinny tires Bob.

Don

bobs409

Administrator
Well now that I've had some seat time in this and with todays junkyard adventure, I am going to jump down to 31's. The little 2.5 just can't handle those big 35's on hills. The place I went to has a lot of fairly steep up & down hills on old country road and the little Jeep with the big tires was struggling.

I LOVE the look of this thing but driveablity is more important. Maybe after I do that SB Chevy transplant, I can go back to 35's. :D

Oh yeah, got the biggest thumbs up yesterday while stopped at a light with this. Guy was driving a slightly lifted Cherokee. Thought he was going to fall out the window! :D

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
33 10.50 15 on stock wheels with a small lift looks darn near perfect. 31 10.50 15 with a lift will look goofy.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Put some 409 stickers on the side, plus a fart can muffler......... Very impressive, to some people.

Don

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The young guys may drool at the big tire look but you'll get more thumbs up from us ole farts if you put the stock rim and tire on for the winter. It'll push snow better, take the hills easier and drive better, he'll Bob your no kid anymore. The engineers that picked the tire height for the jeep pretty much knew their shit.

bobs409

Administrator
I'm not sure but I think Ray just called me old. :bawl

Well the wheels should be fine, just measured them and they are 15X8's and brand new so I'll keep those. I can get 31, 32 or 33 inch tires but the smaller the better for the engine. If it looks bad, I could reverse this lift by putting the axles back above the springs and go with another type of lift so not as much height. Oh the possiblities. :rub

Other option is a hot small block, an M-22 & wheelie bars. :D

bobs409

Administrator
Easy, bigger engine. Borrow the 350 out of the wrecker?:hide:yikes:fear

No need. I could run an aquarium pump and it would perform better. :D I am thinking about a SB transplant one day but not thrilled with the idea of doing it right away. :(

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Bob, if you want to make the trip I have a 1960 hp 283 sitting in a 60 impala in the field. Price is right, free! Complete right from the air cleaner to the pan.

bobs409

Administrator
33 10.50 15 on stock wheels with a small lift looks darn near perfect. 31 10.50 15 with a lift will look goofy.

I'm researching the 33's, might go that way. I hope it's a big enough improvement in performance. Thanks for the heads up. Last thing I want is to look goofy. :crazy :D

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Not only is the 33 10.50 15 going to help your gear ratio, the weight of the tire is far less. The 33 10.50 is harder to find, but well worth it in the rolling resistance as well.