409 engine

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think I'd be tempted to big-block it and try to build a car hauler. I'd be way over my head but I always liked those haulers.
I think I'd try that too... My brother and I have been tossing around the idea of building a ramp truck to haul the '57 gasser were trying to build...

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very nice rig, great condition, what did you pay for it? I'd guess the price would be worth bragging about.

Not many people have the desire to keep an old fire truck, they are showpieces only, and bigger trucks are hard to have around. A car hauler is a practical way to keep a truck like this going. If you don't want it, you could sell it as is, but the next owner would be likely to remove the 409 anyway, so don't feel bad about doing it. Maybe someone who thinks it should stay as is will step up with an offer to buy it for enough dollars so you can find a similar 409 motor and the $$ you will get out of selling it?

As a car hauler, I'd be tempted to stick that cab on top of a modern diesel, keeping the look, but getting a more practical drive train. A nice Chevy Diesel dually rig would work.

Don

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Very nice rig, great condition, what did you pay for it? I'd guess the price would be worth bragging about.

Not many people have the desire to keep an old fire truck, they are showpieces only, and bigger trucks are hard to have around. A car hauler is a practical way to keep a truck like this going. If you don't want it, you could sell it as is, but the next owner would be likely to remove the 409 anyway, so don't feel bad about doing it. Maybe someone who thinks it should stay as is will step up with an offer to buy it for enough dollars so you can find a similar 409 motor and the $$ you will get out of selling it?

As a car hauler, I'd be tempted to stick that cab on top of a modern diesel, keeping the look, but getting a more practical drive train. A nice Chevy Diesel dually rig would work.

Don
What did i pay for it???? I'd have to kill you if i told you!!!!!:D:D I have had a lot of interest in truck even without motor. H ow often do you find a 6,400 mile truck. Rust free cab, door,s drive's great ,clutch is smooth no drive line noise, the turn signal switch need's help, loose lever.If i had the space i would put a motor back in and decide on bed selection, and keep ,but i don't so it will have to be sold. It is a neat truck , i enjoyed driving it every mile.Actually i have it sold to my nephew if he come's up with finance. TO BE CONTINUED!!!!!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
On a recent 4 wheelin show,they built a rock crawler hauler,built a bed....with an angled ramp rear,put it on air bags so it's a drive on.that would be cool.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What did i pay for it???? I'd have to kill you if i told you!!!!!:D:D I have had a lot of interest in truck even without motor. H ow often do you find a 6,400 mile truck. Rust free cab, door,s drive's great ,clutch is smooth no drive line noise, the turn signal switch need's help, loose lever.If i had the space i would put a motor back in and decide on bed selection, and keep ,but i don't so it will have to be sold. It is a neat truck , i enjoyed driving it every mile.Actually i have it sold to my nephew if he come's up with finance. TO BE CONTINUED!!!!!

Man what a cool truck! I hope your nephew keeps 'er on the road. Does it have air brakes?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I think just booster vacuum i did not get under to see , but it take's very little effort to stop.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You own the truck and can do with it what you want. If you part it out may God have mercy on your soul.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If you decide to make it into a car motor, I'd be interested in the original carb; if it still has the governor.
Mearl, I have both a 2 barrel and a four barrel truck carbs with governors. I don't know the internal conditions of the carbs or if the diaphragms are any good, but I have no use for them. Let me know if you are interested. I can post or send pictures.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On a recent 4 wheelin show,they built a rock crawler hauler,built a bed....with an angled ramp rear,put it on air bags so it's a drive on.that would be cool.
On the same show last season'ish, they took a military duece and a half and did something similar with a tilt bed. In the end, I think the host said he was into it for 6 - 8k? Since it also started as a fire truck, I think he was able to recoup some cost by selling parts. I remember it turned out really nice.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Continued, Ok nephew looked at truck ,said it would be too big for his use as a service truck, so after he pull's motor for me it is for sale. I will sale as a whole unit first ,as i would rather do that any way.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's cool as all get out:beer don't know what I'd do with it. drive

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok, plan's have changed dramatically . I am going to sell this truck the way it set's ,motor in it and all. I do not want to part this out ,as other 's have mentioned it would be a piece of history to do so. Another factor is i do remove engine it will affect resale value. Another factor is i do not have space or place i could part this truck out even if i wanted to. I would love to keep this engine ,but reality is overcoming that. I figure i would be better off selling this and getting a motor only and prepping it for my car.Who ever buy's this truck can make their decision what they want to do with it.This would make a great car hauler if new owner chose that route.With 409 and low mileage 6,400 mile's on it and rust free body,and big back window cab has a lot going for it.If any interest on this site pm me and we can discuss it, otherwise it will be starting to be advertised else where. Like i said next owner could part out the truck and fire bed and come out dollar wise if they wanted a 409 motor or what ever, that would be on their shoulder's then not mine. Not interested in any trade's of any kind. I have original title as issued back in the day. Thank's every body , i am not giving up a 409 motor plan's in my future yet!!!!!!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Trades for a 409 and some cash?

Not me, but thought someone may take you up on that.

Don

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
No trade's , i have other option's if i have to, just might have to get my hand's dirty, and still have 409.:brow:brow

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I can't believe you would bag that deal. I wouldn't think twice about parting that truck or pulling the engine and making a car hauler...:doh
I am playing it by ear right now, will see how it goes if no body buy's it that tell's me nobody give's a crap about history :D , so i won't feel bad about parting it out.I can do this at nephew 's facility.

Last edited: