Vintage racecar haulers + the Hot Rod Reunion

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool stuff there. I remember in 1977 we were driving east across Montana in my 63' Pontiac Bonneville following a newer Chevy over cab car hauler with a race car on it. We ran along with him at 105-110 for a full tank of fuel and the Bonneville got 19mpg on that run. I think it was the best mileage we got on the whole trip.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Steve (64 Chevy dude) and I were talking at the convention about building a nostalgia hauler out of my 65 C-60 low cab forward with the original 348. I think it would make an awesome hauler but I'll never get time or money to do it. Somewhere I have a picture of my dad's 67 Chevy log truck with a 55 stock car loaded up getting ready to go West Plains to the races.

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That would be a cool hauler for sure Mearl! On the way home from the convention while going 80 I was thinking about what it woulda been like to travel all over the country, track to track back in the late 50s early 60s. Not so many highways, slower speeds but what a road trip that must have been. In that video there sure were a lotta cars pulling trailers! Mearl I think more time than money would get it done and if I lived closer we'd make it happen. :weld:cheers

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Here's a couple of links for our drag racers:

Great video of vintage racecar haulers: http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...1970s-drag-race-haulers-trailers-ramp-trucks/

And here's a link to the Hot Rod Reunion: http://www.hotrod.com/eventcoverage/huge_gallery_2014_california_hot_rod_reunion_at_famoso/
Thanks for that old car hauler video man. Lot's of memories there from way back when.
I remember going out to the local municipal airport on a Sunday mornings and pulling up to that old Cab-over fuel tanker . to get some "Gulf Aviation Fuel " 105 octane. There was always a line of drag cars on trucks , on trailers , flat towed. waiting fore the guy to get our fuel for the day. waiting for Convoy to go to National Speedway 001.jpg :love:burnout:crazy
:dance3:flag

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was scrounging through a old wrecking yard a few weeks ago and saw this rig. Figured you guys would have some good comments...:brow

20141030_120711.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I wouldn't mind having that 500 inch engine out of that thing,maybe even the FWD transaxel as well.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wouldn't mind having that 500 inch engine out of that thing,maybe even the FWD transaxel as well.
I wonder how well that thing worked???

It does have some interesting features. Look at the wheel base on that thing...:brow,it's a two door crew cab sedan...:deal and it has, as Don says a 500ci torque monster for towing...:cheers not to mention the styling...:D

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It does have some interesting features. Look at the wheel base on that thing...:brow,it's a two door crew cab sedan...:deal and it has, as Don says a 500ci torque monster for towing...:cheers not to mention the styling...:D
Dan!! You should buy it!! The Bel Air and your golf cart would look good on there!!:roll

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Reminds me of a Chris LeDoux song "Cadillac Cowboy". Song is much better than the car thank God!

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
I'd bet $ its gmc motorhome chassis with the cadillac and whatever plopped on it.

GMC_Motorhome_Chassis.jpg

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was a Olds like that in Rapid City SD I saw 20 years ago. The builder used the air bag rear suspension from a GMC motor home under his. dump the air and no ramps needed.

I bought a 63 Bonneville Vista in 1978. 4 speed auto shifted into high about 65mph and the car liked to settle in about 95mph to cruise.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was a Olds like that in Rapid City SD I saw 20 years ago. The builder used the air bag rear suspension from a GMC motor home under his. dump the air and no ramps needed.

I bought a 63 Bonneville Vista in 1978. 4 speed auto shifted into high about 65mph and the car liked to settle in about 95mph to cruise.
I also had a 63' Bonneville same deal it liked to cruise 95-105...:brow