More help please!!, #2

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My wife and I dropped the motor in the car tonight without too much of a hitch until I tried to bolt up the transmission mount to the cross member. With all the adjustment in the mount shifted to one side, I cannot get the bolts to drop through the bolt holes. Both engine mounts seem to be alright, although the passenger side seems a little tight but it did drop right in.
And another thing, the distributor looks to be a little right of center if the recess in the firewall is centered. I had a drink to see if that helped, but it didn't. Should I slot the crossmember to allow the bolts to drop through or what?

Maybe a few more drinks would help. Seriously, is this a major issue?

Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1897.jpg
    IMG_1897.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1900.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 44

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If you loosened the engine mounts on the frame there is probably enough wiggle room to drop the tranny mount in. These cars were far from perfect from the factory. Add aftermarket engine mounts and it muddies the water a little more. Bolting the mounts tight where you did was just the luck of the draw.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I would walk away and then come back it should fit without making the holes any bigger. I would also suggest putting the bolts in the mount front to rear like the factory.

Bill

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bill makes an excellent point about installing the motor mount bolts from the front. Not likely they will ever work loose, but if they do they would be less likely to fall out to the front.

Your car is beautiful! You'll have that transmission bolted up in no time. I think everyone is correct and it just needs to be wiggled a little bit.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
There is a chance that the motor mount on the block is incorrect even tho the part number is right. Had that happen about 10 years ago. See if the mount comes down properly on the frame stands.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
There is also a front and a back to the trans crossmember,I believe it's offset.sorry I didnt catch that 64ss409 stated the same.your car is beautiful....

Last edited: