PCV vs. Down Draft Tube

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I would like to run a down draft tube on my car instead of a PCV valve. Motor is a high performance stroker for the street (409). Will be running a 881 intake with the 3661 & 3662. Pros / Cons.....can I even do it with this motor?
Thanks
Dennis

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As long as your manifold [881] has the heatshield in place,Dennis,I see no reason why you can't do it.I prefer the pcv myself for pollution reasons,but that's just me.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I think my 1962 409/409 was the last 409 with the road draft tube. We each have our preferences. My preference is the road draft tube. I don't drive a huge number of miles so I don't think that my engine with the road draft system dumps very much polution into the atmosphere. (Don, I think I saw you holding your breath when you were near my my car at Thompson --- just kidding.) With higher mileage on the engine, the road draft tube may allow a drip or two to fall under the car when the car is parked to join the higher mileage rear main seal drip. So far my engine has no drips from either. I just think it is better for my engine to have the road draft tube so that the engine does not injest the what ever and have it crud up the back of the intake valve and combustion chamber.

My engine now has an Edelbrock 2 x 4 intake manifold. I so wanted a road draft tube system that I fabricated my own version of a road draft tube, to fit the non stock Edelbrock location, which works fine. Posted pictures of it in the past.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I run the road draft tube in my stroked 348 and it works percect, no drips and looks correct.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I once had a 62 impala bought to resell 4 door hard top, it smoked from the draft tube wondered what was smoking under the car , oh it 's the draft tube. Of course it had a lot of mile's maybe that's why.
Ever follow a car with a draft tube????? Cough Cough!!!!!!:laugh:laugh

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
When I bought my 1955 T-Bird in 1965 the engine was so worn out that it smoked so bad out of the road draft tube that at a stop sign the heat from the engine would cause an up draft and the smoke would billow out the functional hood scoop. I think that if it had had a PVC system the crud would have accumulated to the point that the engine would have stopped running long before. Guess you could say it would have been a self correcting problem.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My 64 has a draft tube, the engine breathes a bit, so I redirected it to the bottom of the air cleaner, no it gets combusted twice. More to get the car licensed than to save the environment.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
don't you guys remember riding down the road and there was a oil line to the right of the center line. jim

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The 409 and Big Block engines both have a lot of windage and need venting to prevent crankcase pressure. I have always seen draft tubes drip oil when the 409 is run hard and don't really like that. The 327 high horse engines, 350 and 365 HP, and the big blocks use a large vent tube to the air cleaner. Because it is in an upward direction it doesn't drip and also doesn't send oil to the air cleaner. I think another alternative would be to put an upward bend in the draft tube to allow the oil to run back into the engine? This would probably be a better alternative than cutting a hole in the air cleaner and should be pretty simple to make.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks for all the input! I've really made no final on this one and want to keep the engine as clean as possible. Please keep in mind that I'm a Republican and I want dirty air and water and want to push Grandma off a cliff.....
I will only put about 500 miles a season so I thing my carbon footprint might only kill a couple of branches, but no trees!
:rub

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
reading this post, jarred my memory is all. it does not happen that much. jim

EZ Cool

Supporting Member 1
PCV system does a much better job of evacuating moisture from the crankcase. The road draft tube only does a good job when going down the highway. PCV system works all the time.