Factory inspection mark color for 63 283 car coil springs?

bobs409

Administrator
All set to put the factory inspection marks on my coil springs before I install them when I realized, the assembly manual doesn't seem to have the info for a 283, no option car. :( They have 327 and up colors listed.

Does anyone know the correct colors? There would be one long strip along the whole coil and another on the center 3 coils. :blah

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yellow if I remember correctly what came out of one of our cars. And no, I will not stand behind that statement so don't tell any judges to call me! Tell them Phil told ya. :)

bobs409

Administrator
I'm holding you to that statement!

Glad I didn't put the marks on yet, I had a bear of a time installing the first one and would have scratched it up. (2nd one can wait a day or two!)

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm holding you to that statement!

Glad I didn't put the marks on yet, I had a bear of a time installing the first one and would have scratched it up. (2nd one can wait a day or two!)
Better info. Impala light blue/orange W A/C white/light blue SS yellow/white SS with A/C orange/white
You can hold me to those. They came out of a GM parts book.

bobs409

Administrator
Ooh, better looking colors! :D Ok, unless someone tells me different, I'm going with those.

Thanks. :)

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Bob,

Are you leaving the spring itself unfinished? Curious to know what color if any your going to use before you stripe it.

bobs409

Administrator
I sprayed them with stainless steel paint which is about the closest I could find to natural steel.

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, I'm getting even more confused. I found the rear springs listed in the assembly manual for a 283 car and they say the 3 center springs are coral and the long stripe is yellow. (section 4, sheet 5.00)

The front spring chart (section 3, sheet 5.00) doesn't have a 283 car listed. :mad (maybe that would be the light blue/orange that ishiftem posted above?)

2 questions: What color is coral? Is that pink? :dunno Also, the front and rear coils shouldn't wear the same inspection colors right? There seems to be more springs choices for the front due to options like AC, etc so I am guessing they had different color marks??

Now the Lembracht 63 which is a 327 car posted in another thread has yellow & yellow on it's rear springs but I can't find any listed that used both yellow markings. According to the chart in the assembly manual, that car should have coral & yellow. WHAT THE HECK????? :bonk

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
50 year old paint could look any color by now. And you are looking at a photo, and it's on a RGB monitor. The Coral color could have turned yellow or just appear yellow.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If I remember the colors I gave were for the front. I can look up the rear later.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep, yellow and corral. The only years that had double yellow were 60-62. Maybe that 63 is an early build using 62 leftovers?

bobs409

Administrator
Better info. Impala light blue/orange W A/C white/light blue SS yellow/white SS with A/C orange/white
You can hold me to those. They came out of a GM parts book.

Ok, so if I read this correctly, my 283 car with no options would have light blue/orange on front springs? Is that the 3 center coils in blue and a long orange stripe or the other way around? I guess I'll go with the coral & yellow for the rear as soon as I confirm if coral is pink. ?? :slap

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok, so if I read this correctly, my 283 car with no options would have light blue/orange on front springs? Is that the 3 center coils in blue and a long orange stripe or the other way around? I guess I'll go with the coral & yellow for the rear as soon as I confirm if coral is pink. ?? :slap
The parts book does not specify what goes where for those springs. No paint and tape with the part number would also be right. Restorers choice!

bobs409

Administrator
Ok thanks for the help. :cheers I sprayed the springs with stainless steel paint which is the closest I could get to a natural look.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I realize not a 63, but my 64 had tape with the part no on each spring. Those finally came off about 10 years ago.