Hidden VIN on frame

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The only time you'll have a problem with the vin #s are when you go to sell it, if the vin # is different on the title than the car, you'll have to
have it inspected and then get a new title. I just had that happen on a 1967 Camaro, the title was off by one number. Cost me 100.00 to
get it fixed. Seems fair to me.....? they make the mistake and I pay for it. My vin number on my frame 1962 Bel Air is on the back
drivers side frame rail, like Dan said, you have to have a light shinning on it just right. Or maybe have your 12 year old with good eyes. You could lightly sand in the back are where the numbers will be, maybe they will show up?
:dunno

Last edited:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Sandblasting a frame will more than likely make the light stamping unreadable. My 61 has 4 original wheels and one from another vehicle. I sand blasted the wheels to clean them up and lost forever 4 of the stampings! Never thought that would happen. Pat's frame was so nice I think he only had to wire brush it as it was very easy to see the two stampings.
Robert

Dr Richard Kimble

Well Known Member
I just checked a frame for a 1964 car that I'm working on. I found the number on the top of the right rear frame rail , but it is only the last 6 digits . still corresponds to the body tag though .

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've checked and I think I've found the indentation where the VIN used to be near the front drivers side location. Not going to lose any sleep over it though.

402 Impala

Well Known Member
This is what you are looking for, barely readable but this is the vin on my 61SS. as you can see, it is located on the left frame rail by the mount for the transmission cross member.

View attachment 30832
Is this visible from under the car or would i have to pull the body off the frame to see mine? Im going through a issue with my DMV now because they want to see 2 vins and theyre calling me a liar telling me there has to be one by the wimdshield and one on the frame by the motor...also they advised me to tear my heater box out bc "it has to be there too on all cars" needless to say im dealing with retards

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
On a 61 there is no vin on the motor. The only vin on the frame that I know of is on top of the frame by the drivers seat as shown in my photo. The only way to see it is to remove the body or cut a hole in the floor of the car. You might try a mirror but I don't think you will see it.

402 Impala

Well Known Member
I was afraid of this i would need some type of way of proving this to the city (or the two individuals who are so convinced im lying to them) something credible enough that i could use in a court type situation or i may never get a title

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Where in Nebraska are you located ? What County or City ? There are a number of long term Chevrolet restoration persons that I know from Nebraska.
Why can't you print some of the items posted in this link and show them.
Our members know the answer, they should accept information from comments here.
Models 1st post on this question, showing the frame came from a book that shows the frame. Get a copy of that book and show them.
The locations they are commenting on are from newer Chevrolet's, not for late 50's and early 60s Chevy's.

For 61 to 64 I know the serial number information is in two places on the top of the frame, the one that Tommy notes and the other location is behind the rear body mount. As members have stated -they are very hard to see and the original stampings were not stamped deep enough into the metal to read. Rust, frame blasting, painting, & powder coating make the numbers not readable on the top of the frame. 7 frame off restorations have shown me that the numbers almost can't be seen. Only the last 7 digits of the serial number are stamped in the frame.

For a car without a title, the Iowa Department of Transportation Vehicle enforcement officer inspected a 62 SS Convertible(that I had a few years back) for the original door jamb tag and authorized the county to issue me a title (along with a bond from my insurance company for 3 years ). They still use this procedure. What is the Nebraska method ? I have heard my Nebraska friends comment on the process.
A Alan Colvin Chevrolet book by the numbers (55 to 59 or 60 to 64) (you can buy this book ) shows all the serial number and cowl tag information for these year cars.

Paul

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Im in Lincoln i was at the DMV here and they gave me information on a "Nebraska car club Representative" and after i called this person he told me i was the 3rd person this year the DMV has told this "nonsense" to and that i should do what he told the last guy to do just go to a smaller county, he said it seemed like Lincoln and Omaha are just bad news pm this subject basically categorizing all older cars as the exact same

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes talking to you ,anything wrote on title unusual .Did previous owner mention anything about the car's history?????

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Yes talking to you ,anything wrote on title unusual .Did previous mention about the car's history?????
Nothing wrong with my title at all the dmv here are just ran by idiots i spoke with a gentleman here in town (off this page) who pointed me in the right direction; they just seem to think every car ever built should have multiple vin #s all over the car...my title is clean and clear and a TX title im in Nebraska and so in order to title it here every car from out of state is subject to a visual inspection by the sherrifs here

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Just people who know nothing about older vehicles trying to be difficult because they're in a postion of power

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok, so if you decided to let them inspect the car for number's and they can't find a frame number ,they won't give you a title????? According to info on this home page there is a tag on driver's side cowl and a tag on driver's side door jam for 1961.

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Ok, so if you decided to let them inspect the car for number's and they can't find a frame number ,they won't give you a title????? According to info on this home page there is a tag on driver's side cowl and a tag on driver's side door jam for 1961.
I showed them the cowl tag they said the actual #s theyre looking for are the last (6) i believe which is the actual cars vin the others are information such as a V8 car and 2 door/4 door and where it was built so they want to see those extra numbers i luckily found a highway patrol sargent who understands these older cars only had one vin on the body and he is going to inspect mine weds and sign off on it thank goodness