The Policeman....The Genius of Paul Harvey

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Near the end of the video I heard the line... "he'll have to be a genius because he'll have to feed a family on a policeman's salary"
My first thought was I don't know about that, being a cop pays pretty well. Then I did a quick Google search and found out that I was wrong. It doesn't pay all that well in the USA.
Up here in Canada, cops, firemen and teachers often make over $100,000 per year and their pensions are really good too.
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/the-new-upper-class/
According to the site I was looking at the average policeman's wage in the US is $47,643 per year.
I figured they'd both be making about the same. My first thought is maybe the cops in the US deserve a raise, and maybe cops in Canada need a wage freeze. :D

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
That US average must include of of the little dinky towns that have less than 10 officers. In the bigger cities in MN, they make about 65k to 75k after a few years. Many make over 100k because of the generous amount of overtime available. I believe there pensions are about 90% of their wages.

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
If they are getting 90% pensions that is a lot more than Firefighters and I thought the pensions were about the same. :dunno

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I talked to my copper buddy today and had him explain his pension plan. He has 10 years with a MPLS, MN area suburban city. Most of these police and fire departments are on the 3% plan. 25 years of service is good for 75% of your average of best 5 years wages. 33 years of service gets you 99% of your wages in pension benefits. law enforcement does not participate in social security benefits. These pension plans were changed recently and the new plans are not as generous for the new employees.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
25 years 75% 33 years 99% I have the utmost respect for law officers putting their life on the line, but am I the only one that thinks these pension payments are excessive? I'm glad the government pays these and doesn't cost the normal citizen anything.;);):doh:doh:doh Then you hear folks bitching about large corporations giving the head honchos a large bonus. :poke

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Rather see these pensions going to our protectors than to the crooks in DC. JMO.

Lonnie