Exhaust system

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Just wondering where everyone buys their exhaust system?? Trying to do a little home work before I purchase one. I see ShowCars among other vendors sell them, but they want to sell the unit as a whole. I don't want their mufflers because I'm not sure what I'm going to put on yet. Went to Advance Auto and I can get the separate pipes, but I'm not sure the exhaust pipes are the 2.5 inch ones that I want. He didn't know either. I think the tailpipes are 2" and I guess that would be for all dual exhaust V-8's. I'll continue checking other places also. Thank you, Carmine.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Gor mine from Phill Reed, 2 1/2 inch all the way back with stock 2 1/2 inch exhaust manifolds. good fit!

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On my 63 409 I had a local exhaust shop do mine and I did not realize at the time is that the butt holes put 2 inch pipe on it all the way from the reducers they made at the 2.5 inch manifolds to the tail pipes felt like a fool on that one. On my 65 409 car I ordered a pre built complete from Show Cars and it fit like a glove every bend was perfect and did not cost much more than my 63 system. You can probably tell Show Cars you do not want stock mufflers or just switch them out later yourself.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Pipe quality and wall thickness will vary quite a bit with price. Buy quality pipes and do it once. My first exhaust system was purchased from the local NAPA store when I did my V8 conversion and they lasted about 3 years before they completely rotted away. They turned into swiss cheese pipes. I had the second system bent up at an exhaust shop from their pipe bending recipe cards and installed them in my shop and they fit perfectly. They have about a .090 wall thickness and are aluminized. They still look like new after 20 years.

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I bought a sytstem from Ecklers, they have a few options, ours were the galvinized ones. If your using stock manifolds 2- 1/2, you must tell them what year, and if they are the type that dump down in the middle of the stock manifold (62 early) 409, or the back of manifold (late 62) , it makes a difference in the bend. Also if you use 2- 1/2 from the stock manifold to the muffler, make sure you order the right muffler size for the incoming and outgoing side of the muffler. That is if , 2- 1/2 in is good from manifold to inlet, then you have to decide what size you want the outlet of the muffler to be, it could be 2 ", 3" 2 - 1/2" whatever, but then you must buy the right size pipes that run to the rear. They will be made to fit over what ever size the outlet you've pick out. We have our body off the frame, so its been fairly easy, the bends are great and with a little help they fit great. I did buy the frame brackets, rather expensive, 180.00 or so. Here again you have to make sure you order the right size bracket kit for each end of the muffler and for the pipes going to the back. From Ecklers they use the exhaust system made in CANADA,
very nice, and they ship directly from the manufacturer. Ask all the questions before buying, this is one item I would call whomever, and talk and ask question before buying.