Distributor

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I tried looking at some old threads and couldn't find an answer. Hope I didn't already ask this, but what is everybody running for a distributor?? I looked on ebay and saw some new ones and also used. Just trying to get a flavor of what's being used. Also, where did you buy yours from?? Thank you, Carmine.

Please disregard. I found the info in another section. Thanks.

Last edited:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I run one of those cheap Chinese trigger only distributors and a MSD 6al box. Never a problem in many many years. The MSD does all the work.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
MSD ready to run, one of the first sold. Never have had problems, but then I don't race, just cruise.

Dave

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Think I'm going to go with a new Pertronix II distributor. Should be simple enough to hook up; 2 wires. They also recommend one of their coils. For those of you that are using these distributors, are you also using a higher voltage coil?? Is this necessary?? I'll buy one if it will improve my spark. Also, if you happen to know, this setup won't affect or eliminate my resistor, will it?? Thank you, Carmine.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I put the Pertronix Ignitor III in my stock distributor and used their recommended coil. I mainly wanted to eliminate the points.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Carmine,you can use the stock coil and wiring with no ill effects.I've done it many times.If you go with the aftermarket coil for better spark,follow their directions for the coil..I seems that they make 2 differant coils.one will work with the resistor,one wont.

chuckl

Well Known Member
Carmine,
In my mild build 348 Tri-Power, I run a stock 348/409 distributor with a Mallory Unilite module (as a trigger), a Mallory coil and a Mallory resistor. I have never had any problems over several years. For street and cruz'n, you don't need an ignition system that you can arc weld with. Chuck :)

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine,you can use the stock coil and wiring with no ill effects.I've done it many times.If you go with the aftermarket coil for better spark,follow their directions for the coil..I seems that they make 2 differant coils.one will work with the resistor,one wont.

Great Don. I was hoping for that. A stock coil it is. Thanks.

I like the Mallory Unilite module. I have run three of them in my cars with the MSD 6AL spark box and recommended coil. Never a problem. In my '62, I want to keep it somewhat plain and simple underneath. I have no distributor at all, that's why I'm going with the Pertronix II. If I did have one, I'd probably go with just the unilite module and forego the rest, Carmine.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Carmine: If you use the Petronix II, you can't use a resistor. It needs a full 12 volts.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have to admit, this started to be a little confusing to me so I went to the Pertronix site and looked at their instructions for the install of this distributor. They mentioned that some cars come with a resistor, and for "optimum performance", this should be eliminated. Doesn't say it absolutely has to be eliminated, but it is recommended. OK, if the resistor is eliminated, what happens to the wires that had been attached to it??? I'm not sure exactly what they are for or what they do, but I would think they have to hook up to something. Can't be left dangling. They also said a stock coil would be ok as long as it measures 6/8 ohms or more. I'm not too good with hooking up stuff like this, Carmine.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Carmine, This "resistor" part is really simple. 12 volts of power is supplied from the ignition switch to one side of the resistor block. The other side of the resistor block had a short wire that connected directly to the "+" side of the coil. The purpose of the resistor is to drop the normal 12 volts to 7 volts to prevent premature burning of the ignition points in the original distributor. The Pertronix ignition does not have points and requires the full 12 volts. Bill (post #15) meant for you to connect the short wire from the ignition coil directly to the "ignition switch" (full 12 volt) side of the resistor block rather than to the 7 volt side. That 7 volt terminal on the resistor block would remain unused. There will no wires left dangling. Hope this helps. BTW, only the 409 cars used the resistor block in '62. Your resistor block was either added to the harness or the original harness was replaced with the 409 harness.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yes, that does help a lot. Know I understand it. Thank you. I didn't know that about only '62 409 cars using a resistor block. Learn something new every day, Carmine.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes, that does help a lot. Know I understand it. Thank you. I didn't know that about only '62 409 cars using a resistor block. Learn something new every day, Carmine.

If this was not a 409 car it has a resistor wire in the harness that reduces the voltage to the coil. The easiest thing to do is buy a 409 harness from Showcars that gives a full 12volts at the resistor block.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
That is the other part of this resistor issue. It is a good bet that the car was originally built as a single exhaust car because Carmine replaced the 5/16" fuel line with the 3/8" lines. The original dashboard harness had a "braided wire" from the ignition switch as the power source to the coil that took the place of the resistor block to reduce the voltage to the points. If this wire is still in place, it will need to be replaced with a regular stranded type of wire suitable for 12 volts coming from the ignition switch. It is easy to identify the resistor type of wire just by stripping back the insulation a bit and looking for a thicker than normal and finely braided silver wiring about 18" long.