More drag racing from 1963

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yeah there is a video. I took it from the grand stands with my camera. The problem is trying to get it up loaded on here. I tried and my wife who is a ton smarter than me at this stuff tried and we never got it yet. It says it does not support this type of file. So until we get this figured out you might have to wait unless someone else has it and can put it on. Wife got tired of trying to tonight. We will see what we can do tomorrow. Thinking maybe we can load it up on U-Tube.

Well you met Glenn Rick. Thanks to him is how all this came out about with the docs and letters. It use to be his and it stayed with family and friends from 1961 to around the mid 70's till we purchased it. They were all interested from the Salem Speed shop through all the owners of preserving the ole beast, Nice people and I make sure their names and racing history goes right with the car. They all had better success than I had. Alan still has a 30 ft wall of trophies stacked 3 deep on the shelf counting the 1962 Pomona Winter Nationals one. Not all from this car but he thinks a great number of them were and Glenn thought that Buck and him won more races than they lost. So it does know what a track looks like. Then I got it and more countless trips for 15 years but it's time to rest. Fun car.

Had fun with you and Loreen Rick. I like the story of yours as well and you driving it all the way way was really something. Thanks for letting me give it a spin...Butch PS. I will keep trying on the video. It was a blue 62. Not for sure whose but he sure gave the Lambo a run for the money.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Butch THANK YOU and tell your wife THANK YOU too! Wasn't expecting ya'll to waste a bunch of time getting video loaded on here tonight. I haven't figured out how to do that myself and we've had some stuff recorded from vacation for a few years now.

Sure wish I could have made it out to Great Bend and met all of you in person.

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Z-11's are pretty exotic indeed. I had my first encounter riding with Don Fezzell in the Old reliable down the track at Norwalk 1998 and riding with Dick Milner in his Alan Green Z-11 also (Don Fezzell owns that one along with Old Reliable and 2 other cars). Then I was in Utah and stayed with Mr Smith who owned the Frank Sanders & Terry Prince car. He asked me, you want to drive them? I was way to scared to do so, though Roger and Fezzell told me don't be a chicken. So I drove both Z-11 cars up and down a farm road with scary bias plias tires.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah there is a video. I took it from the grand stands with my camera. The problem is trying to get it up loaded on here. I tried and my wife who is a ton smarter than me at this stuff tried and we never got it yet. It says it does not support this type of file. So until we get this figured out you might have to wait unless someone else has it and can put it on. Wife got tired of trying to tonight. We will see what we can do tomorrow. Thinking maybe we can load it up on U-Tube.

Well you met Glenn Rick. Thanks to him is how all this came out about with the docs and letters. It use to be his and it stayed with family and friends from 1961 to around the mid 70's till we purchased it. They were all interested from the Salem Speed shop through all the owners of preserving the ole beast, Nice people and I make sure their names and racing history goes right with the car. They all had better success than I had. Alan still has a 30 ft wall of trophies stacked 3 deep on the shelf counting the 1962 Pomona Winter Nationals one. Not all from this car but he thinks a great number of them were and Glenn thought that Buck and him won more races than they lost. So it does know what a track looks like. Then I got it and more countless trips for 15 years but it's time to rest. Fun car.

Had fun with you and Loreen Rick. I like the story of yours as well and you driving it all the way way was really something. Thanks for letting me give it a spin...Butch PS. I will keep trying on the video. It was a blue 62. Not for sure whose but he sure gave the Lambo a run for the money.
Butch, it would be nice to get Glen on here too, he had some great stories!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Z-11's are pretty exotic indeed. I had my first encounter riding with Don Fezzell in the Old reliable down the track at Norwalk 1998 and riding with Dick Milner in his Alan Green Z-11 also (Don Fezzell owns that one along with Old Reliable and 2 other cars). Then I was in Utah and stayed with Mr Smith who owned the Frank Sanders & Terry Prince car. He asked me, you want to drive them? I was way to scared to do so, though Roger and Fezzell told me don't be a chicken. So I drove both Z-11 cars up and down a farm road with scary bias plias tires.
Raj......when were you out to Willie's?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I remember that Lambo. It was actually really quick.
Most of the exotic sports cars you see at the track don't really perform all that well, but that one was really dialed in.
Don't get me wrong, it sure ain't my style but that one did run really well.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I agree Jim,
They just don't do it for me (or my wallet for that matter)
Their performance and handling are right up there with the best
But to see a $250,000+ car get its ass handed to it by a 50+ year old street driven car is great
Just my opinion

Steve

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yep, I agree. I don't care for those kinds of cars at all and most of them aren't very quick either. :barf2
The only reason I remember that car is because it was one of a very few that I've seen that actually ran really good times.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
THANKS for that!!! I got to show it to a couple guys today and will be showing more tomorrow. :cool: Mr. George sure makes it look easy in the Blue Screamer.

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Raj......when were you out to Willie's?

Sorry for the late reply Phil. Back in 2005, Roger Sortino and Don Fezzell were invited by Willie Smith in Utah to see the Z-11s of Terry Prince and Frank Sanders. Don wanted to see me again and Roger wanted me to come. Willie and his wife are wonderful people and put us up in their home along with hosting us for the time we were there. I kind of went into hiding after I got insulted by well known chevy guru telling me the last good big Chevy's were 1964 and anything past that were only a good source for big block motors for Chevelles,Vettes and Camaros. With that kind of attitude I quietly left the 348,409 Z-11 circle. When I purchased my current '63 which I'm now selling I decided to peak back on this site. I still love the '09's and cherish the time I spent with Nicholson, Wade, Prince, Hayden etc.