Chasing the Cheetah

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
On the prowl: Chasing the Cheetah

Got a lead on a car I always dreamed of and drove to St. Louis to view an example. Since I have a birthday coming up I thought it would be fun to look for a present for myself :). Turns out the fella collects old cars and lives about a mile from one of my boys in University City (St.Louis), so I got to tour his cars and play a bit with my son. He had some 22 antique cars, and his collection was all over the place in terms of make and genre.

The car in question is a “continuation car” based on the 1963-66 Cheetah project championed by Bill Thomas, back-doored by Vince Piggins of GM back in the day. This body was made in Indianapolis, IN circa 1983. I was told that three fiberglass bodies were made, exact copies of the original. These are made nowadays as “kit cars” but the dimensions are different, having been widened and lengthened and fitted with more modern drive trains. This was not a kit car, it was a “continuation” but not sanctioned by Bill Thomas (there are some of those out there as well, they go for Big Bucks). It had a 454 connected to a five speed, definitely not of the same era, but interesting. Would look better with a 409 :) :) :).

We snapped a few pics of the car as well as some of the others he had, including:

1936 Mercedes 540K (the real deal, not a clone)
IMG_9120.JPG

1957 Mercedes 300S cabriolet

A pair of 1930s Auburns
IMG_9122.JPG

A Ford Model A “brass car”
IMG_9124.JPG

A pair of 1956-7 Ford retractibles (no pics, but really nice)

A Lamborghini Countach (under a tarp, no pics)

1948 Packard
IMG_9145.JPG

1948 Hudson Commodore

1950s Studebaker

1968 Camaro SS
IMG_9140.JPG

The 1963 Cheetah “continuation” car
IMG_9129.JPG

IMG_9130.JPG
Enjoy!

TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The Cheetah looks cool! :beer
It looks like it would be a whole lot of fun to drive.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice cars Tom. Is the Cheetah coming home? That looks like its a perfect one.

Don

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Don: The fellow had two Cheetahs made in Indianapolis. They both started out the same. The red one in the pics is a done car, he's taking it to Mecum in a week. I wanted to see what they looked like when finished, and if I fit in the vehicle (I don't, but am still interested). The other one is just a birdcage and the fiberglass parts. Needs a C3 frame and suspension to make it a roller (I have said components). Some assembly required, and lots of parts need to be acquired, including the drive train, interior, etc. Big project. Still weighing the possibility, want to go back with James and look things over. The guy is well connected and knows how to source those parts, I just need to learn more about cost and availability. I figure if I can build a house from the ground up I can do one of these. It just takes time and capital :).

It will be interesting to see what his red one fetches at Mecum in a week or two, but the reserve is a bit rich for my blood ($100K).

Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Regarding fit, it would be tight squeeze and very confining. I had my son, who is a bit shorter than I at 6'2" and 190 lbs. slip in and he seemed OK, but a little tight. More leg room than headroom. I am three inches taller and have 40 pounds on him, so it would be uncomfortable. I envisioned the driver to be my buddy James, who is also tall. Maybe this one isn't for me?

TomK

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom, it sounds like you really want to pursue it, and I can see why you would. It is an iconic car...and I am sure you can find a height-challenged driver! Let me know where the line starts, I'm 5'9" 180!!! Or if you want someone who is really a driver, find one of those NASCAR midgets!!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/01/28/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1964-cheetah/?refer=news

$580,000, a bit rich for me.

1964Cheetah_01_700-700x430.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Yeah, that is a bit rich :). That must one of the eleven or so originals to command that value.

We saw a pretty nice representative of the 1964 Cheetah at B-J. It had a tube chassis, a SBC and looked very faithful to the original (but it wasn't). It only went for $36,00 (no reserve) and that made me stop and think about my interests. Pretty sure I couldn't make one for that! There was a Cheetah listed for Mecum in Kissimmee, it was supposed to be a Saturday car, didn't see any results so maybe it was removed from the listing?

Best, TomK

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As you know the Cheetahs are really cool cars. There was one around here about 8-10 years ago with lettering on it and some other decals. Dark gray color. Really neat car.