NHRA seat belt petition

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
147460-1394735220-wide.jpg

Make Drag Racing Seat belts certification good for 5 years (NHRA)
  • author: RJ Miolla
  • target: NHRA (National Hot Rod Association)
  • signatures: 5,323
Sign the petition Here

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
As most of us know, these 5 point harnesses are really strong. Much heavier than regular seat belts. In fact they're about as heavy as the ratchet straps we tie the cars down to the trailer with.
You'd think they really should be safe for 5 years. :dunno
They may be looking at a worst case scenario where the car is stored outside in direct sunlight but every car I know if sits in an enclosed trailer or a shop more than 90% of the time.
If they need to add UV protection or whatever,,, fine, but surely they should be able to make a set of belts that will last five years.

Last edited:

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If the government hasn't put a 2 year or 5 year term on the seat belts used for baby seats then I don't see why the NHRA needs one. Look how long they last in cars. Try to rip one in a 25 year old clunker in the junkyard....one that has been sitting for years.

Seems like they could just come up with some better "thread" to sew them together with as that is the failure point. Not the actual webbing itself. An old racer friend once told me that the rule was there because of all the people who stored open cockpit cars such as rails, slingshots, etc. outside. Like Jim said, I just can't imagine that happening these days. At some point you'd think they would give people credit for having at least some common sense.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
They want those changed every 2 years, but the slow old cars can have a lap belt that is over 50 years old, and some of those cars may be running over 100 mph.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
They want those changed every 2 years, but the slow old cars can have a lap belt that is over 50 years old, and some of those cars may be running over 100 mph.
Good point. What about the cars that have to have them on 1/8 mile tracks that will never go faster than 105-110 while cars running the 1/4 that aren't required to have them can go up to 120 I think it is. Just doesn't make sense.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Signed! I had read somewhere before that mud drags and mud bogged don't have to replace for 5 years that makes no sense.

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I hope by signing this I haven't signed up for a ton of junk mail. Today I got an email from Care to petitions thanking me for joining for life their petition site. Look them up. "Care to petitions".

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
:yup I got an email this morning to sign a different petition, "saving the butterfly from Monsanto". It had the same format. No, I did not sign it. I use a lot of Monsanto products.