1960 Impala Power Steering

Peter Birmingham

Well Known Member
I am having a problem with my power steering, the system includes a new 500 steering box and a new power steering pump. The pulley on the pump was modified, made smaller to clear the steering box. The power steering fluid is at the full mark on the dipstick. I jacked up the car so the wheels are just off the ground, then with the engine not running I turned the steering wheel from side to side. As I turned from center position to the right the fluid rose in the reservoir to almost overflowing. As I turned the wheel back to center the fluid went back to the original height and as I turned the steering wheel the other way it came up to almost over flowing again. Is this normal? Then I put the cap back on and turned the steering wheel all the way to the stop and the fluid shot out a hole in the center of the cap. Needless to say I had a lot of fluid on the floor. I took the cap off and started the engine, hard to tell but it did not look like the oil was circulating in the reservoir.

Attachments

• 109 Delivery Day.JPG
    109 Delivery Day.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 110 Delivery Day.JPG
    110 Delivery Day.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 18

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It is not uncommon for the fluid to come out of the pump when turned as you described,even on new cars and trucks,but in fact quite normal.They were designed for the engine to be running before the wheel is turned. While you may not see any circulation per se;what you should see is a drop in the fluid in the reservoir from where it was with the engine is off. The smaller diameter pulley will not be determental to the operation of the system as the pump will be slightly overdriven. Start the engine,with the pump at the full level and rotate the steering wheel form lock to lock .gently,several times to remove any trapped air in the system while keeping an eye on the fluid level.It may be necessary to add fluid.