New to this site and starting a '58 build.

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome!

I think you should go over the brakes, belts, hoses, tune-up, etc. and then do some interior work and just enjoy driving it for a few months before you tear into it. It will give you more motivation to get it done plus it will be loads of fun.
I wanted to do that in the worst way and
tried to get the motor going until I pulled one half of a push rod out of the head when checking the rockers. New motor will be here in a few weeks, and there was no drive shaft as someone had switched transmissions and put a different 8.2 in it with the hopes of getting back on the road
Welcome!

While I wholeheartedly agree and planned on doing that, when I tried to get the 327 going, I found a pushrod bent and a piece of it missing, so it needs an overhaul. I just went ahead and ordered a motor. Then I will need a new shaft...rearend....brakes are frozen...wiring is questionable in place....etc. etc.

I am concerned about bogging down on the build, because I know it'll take a number of years. I thought about taking the body off and do the frame, suspension, brakes and driveline and just put the body back on and drive it dirty. But I'm guessing I may be being a little optimistic there. I guess I will figure it out when I get there.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
58 Impalas are definitely cool, the 327 would have been neat done up in period correct dress. Don't let these guys fool you into thinking they only only know W-motors, they also know a lot about big blocks.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Dicey welcome aboard looks like you have a pretty complete solid project to work with, "good bones" as they say. I am working on a 58 also and going through floors, trunk, rockers and my car was missing just about everything. If you need any help feel free to ask I would be glad to help and I have a bunch of contacts for all kinds of parts. Here is a link to my build so you can take a peek and feel much better that you are starting with a mostly complete it appears. http://s257.photobucket.com/user/66ragtp/library/58 Impala

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ragtop66,

Wow, looking through your pics is amazing. I admire what you are doing with that car, it's going to be amazing. Are you doing this yourself or having a shop do it? I can't afford a shop, so it's just me and my brother-in-law...but I'm in good hands with him. I can do enough, but he can do some fabrication and has done a couple cars. I will definitely hit you up for ideas and information, and I appreciate you offering your experience.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice 58, and welcome. Personally I think you are way over your head with that project and should give it to me to finish. Hey I am just trying to do you a favor and save you all the stress and money involved. :cool:

Welcome. I would actually give you a few bucks and I would finish it!
Of course I would find a 348 to put in it. Just sayin.

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I noticed there is a trend here in regards to what motor to put in it. Lol! I briefly looked into the 348-409, but is it just me, or is it insanely expensive to get serious power out of the W? I was seeing 409s for like $17,000 That don't even touch what I'm getting in terms of power from a 70s 454 (570hp/580tq) for $7500. I'm definitely on a budget...well my wife has me on a budget, and I just went bang for the buck. Are there head adapters out there that can make a 468 look like a 409?:D

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, would this work??????? This was at last convention. I really had to take a double take!!!!!photo (21).JPG photo (22).JPG

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You cannot compare apples to oranges. I could have purchased a new Corvette motor and had more torque and horsepower for basically what I have in my engine. And it would get great gas mileage and drive great. But then when ever I opened my hood, I would be disappointed. However, your car, your desire. That car is still going to be nice.

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You cannot compare apples to oranges. I could have purchased a new Corvette motor and had more torque and horsepower for basically what I have in my engine. And it would get great gas mileage and drive great. But then when ever I opened my hood, I would be disappointed. However, your car, your desire. That car is still going to be nice.
I agree with you...a dressed up W IS something to behold...can't think of anything that compares.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess for me it is somewhat of a nostalgia thing. As a kid I was around these cars and always wanted one with a 409 so I guess you could say I am finally getting what I dreamed about as a teenager.

I went out and found a good block, heads, crank, etc. and I estimate having about $7500 in the motor when done and 375-400 hp. Good driver motor.