63 SS Impala original 409 car?

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
And I thought my new 63 project was tough! Seems like child's play next to yours. Wish I had your talent!
Dennis

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sometimes I wish I had better cars to start with, but where would the fun be in that? I enjoy the challenge of restoring cars and fabricating parts. I don't know what I would do without a project car( I'm sure my wife would have a few ideas though).

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Thanks. I'm just taking lots of time. Measure a dozen or so times, screw together, unscrew, readjust, rescrew together then weld. Sometimes I just have to walk away and work on another project.

Nice project....and excellent advice. I do the same thing. If I run into a problem that I can't resolve easily, I step away and do something else. It doesn't take long for a solution to present itself once cooler heads prevail. :cheers

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Finally had some time today to make some more adjustments to the rear quarters. Looks like they're ready to go one permanently. Just have to wait for some better weather so I can prime the insides and I should be ready to start welding them on.:pray

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just wanted to say that for all you guys out there that go that far into restoring the metal on some of these cars, my hats off to you. It's not so much the actual work, welding, fitting etc., it's the patience, the dedication, the perseverance to your goal that I admire. I can weld, do machine work, etc., I just don't have what ever you guys have to take something that I would consider too far gone and resurrect it like some of you do. And even if I did now, I feel I don't have enough time left to do it. I can remember passing on several cars that were easily repaired when I was younger because I was scared of the body work. I remember particular 55 chevy with a Nascar motor in it that had a little rust on the top that scared me that I could have had for a song. I am glad there are people like you guys out there.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I guess that's why I have so many projects, when I get frustrated, I move to another one. You guys got Deb on my ass about the 63, so it went back to the top of the list.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Finally had some time this past week to work on the '63 SS. I epoxy primed the inside of the rear quarters and the outer wheel houses. The quarters are screwed back on the car hopefully for the final time. Now I have to work on fitting the taillight panels and the trunk weather strip channels.

Just an fyi for anyone replacing the trunk weather strip channels on a '63. Dynacorn list their channels as fitting '63 and '64. Well they correct for a '64 but not a '63. I had to cut out approximately 1" in the drop area by the tail light panels and a couple inches at the end that meets the panel across the rear opening of the trunk. Not happy! But I couldn't find any good used ones in our area. 100_2797.JPG 100_2798.JPG 100_2799.JPG 100_2800.JPG How do I get anything done with such a mess in the garage?

I finally took a picture of the firewall looking for the resistor mounting hole. There is a hole that looks like a self tapping screw was installed but I'm not sure if it is in the correct location.
100_2793.JPG It's just to the left of the master cylinder mounting stud.

bobs409

Administrator
De-ja-vu for me seeing these pics. :D I even had to replace the lower sail panels just like your doing. I'm happy to be further along than you. (sorry) :poke Mine should be primered next week. Then it gets block sanded and taken apart so I can do door jams, trunk jam, cowl, backs of fenders, doors, etc. After that, it's PAINT time! :flag

I'll be so happy when that is done. After that, it's gravy. :cool:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Don't know how Bob did it {sail panel gap} but i would think about making that extension sail panel first like a nos panel were made and attaching to quarter before welding on the complete quarter panel , that way you could put rust treatment on back side too, Just saying!!!!!:scratch:scratch

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
A fellow member here located 2 used pieces for mine. I believe the quarter lip goes under that piece. It looked that way on mine so that's how I did mine. I used POR 15 in that area too. (not that it's future pampered garage life will be that tough on her)

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
De-ja-vu for me seeing these pics. :D I even had to replace the lower sail panels just like your doing. I'm happy to be further along than you. (sorry) :poke Mine should be primered next week. Then it gets block sanded and taken apart so I can do door jams, trunk jam, cowl, backs of fenders, doors, etc. After that, it's PAINT time! :flag

I'll be so happy when that is done. After that, it's gravy. :cool:
Keep posting pictures of yours Bob, it's inspiration for me to work on mine! I'm hoping to paint next year, but who knows when for sure.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It is a labor of love for me! I couldn't imagine not having a project to work on. I have really been motivated lately seeing the photos of your painted body Bob! Hoping to be at that point next year myself.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A note on the ballast resistor. Look at your wire harness, a car equipped without the resistor will have a resistor wire, which is easy to identify, silver colored wired, normally with a white braided type cover. A ballast equipped car would not have the silver resistor wire it would be a normal copper wire going to the resistor.

bobs409

Administrator
It is a labor of love for me! I couldn't imagine not having a project to work on. I have really been motivated lately seeing the photos of your painted body Bob! Hoping to be at that point next year myself.

Well your really gonna be motivated when you see the new pics of it out in the sun that I just posted! Our projects have so much in common it's eerie. :D I love seeing an old Chevy getting brought back. I wish we could rescue every one of them.